Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Babylon on Win XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 bakingfoodie

bakingfoodie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

I posted about this a while back and thought I had fixed the problem. Lo and behold I was wrong. Babylon is showing back up in searches. It doesn't appear to be acting on the computer in any way but it still worrisome that something would mysteriously show up. No Scripts has been added to Firefox by my supervisor to keep strange items from running. The babylon folder has produced a log file which I'll attach as a PDF if possible and await further instruction. Once again, this computer is not my own but someone I support and it is Win XP 32 big machine. I have the following at my disposal

HJT
OTL
ComboFix
Malware Bytes
SuperAnti Spyware

And a few other items that I've used with Bleeping Computer before. Will await further instructions.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!!

My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.

I have put together somethings for you to keep in mind while I am helping you to make things go easier and faster for both of us

1.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
doing so will only at best cause you unneeded worry as it finds our backups and may even list our tools
and at worst can cause conficts with our tools and lead to unforseen things to happen2.Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.
besides the time it takes me to open the reports it makes it harder to find something if I need to go back to do more research and putting them in code boxes just makes them so hard to read3. After each step give me a little feedback
It does not need to be long but just something so I know how things are going it can be something like
I am still getting redirected
The computer is running as it should
Don't put things like - it is the same as before or still the same this just makes me go back and look for you last feedback as to how things are4. read every post completely before doing anything
Pay special attention to the Notes** I have put in
These are things I have found that happen allot and can be taken care of easily just by reading the Notes**

Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

Backup The Computer!!

If you have not done it yet spend a few minutes to backup the computer. Removing malware can be unpredictable and this may save you and me allot of grief later.

There is some good info in the Preparation Guide on how to make full backups and how to restore it back if something goes wrong. Read the tutorial and print it out so you will know what to do in case the unforeseen happens.

When you have the computer backed up you may do the following.

DeFogger:

• Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OK
Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Download DDS:

• Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:

Posted Image
    Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
    Link2
    Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

• Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.
    • Shortly after two logs will appear:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • A window will open instructing you save & post the logs
  • Save the logs to a convenient place such as your desktop
  • Copy the contents of both logs & post in your next reply

information and logs:

• In your next post I need the following

• .logs from DDS
  • let me know of any problems you may have had

Gringo

I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

If I Have Not Replied To One Of My Topics In 48 Hrs Please Bump The Topic

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

Proud Graduate Of Malware Removal University

#3 bakingfoodie

bakingfoodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Hello Gringo,

So unbeknownst to me, the user ran a few things on his computer including Spybots software and he says it showed where babylon was and he thinks it has removed it as it is no longer showing up in searches after a reboot. I'll write more later when the user returns to his station as this issue has a habit of reappearing and don't want to have this thread closed at the moment only to potentially start a new thread on the same topic.

Thank you :-)

#4 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Ok I will check on you in a couple of days if I have not heard from you

gringo
I Close My Topics If You Have Not Replied In 5 Days If You Will Be Longer Please Let Me Know

My help is free, however, if you wish to make a small donation to show your appreciation or to help me continue the fight against Malware, then click here -->btn_donate_SM.gif<-- Don't worry every little bit helps.

#5 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hello

Just checking in on you as it has been a couple of days since I have heard from you.

Are you having any troubles or just need more time?

Gringo

#6 bakingfoodie

bakingfoodie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

I have not heard back from the user and so I'll say that things are fine. If this is not the case, expect to see me open a topic with a similar headline.

Thanks again for your patience. I hope I wasn't taking you away from someone else that needs help.

#7 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

thank you for letting me know

gringo

#8 gringo_pr

gringo_pr

Bleepin Gringo

• Malware Response Team
  • 136,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users