Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Battery wont let me update bios

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mocman

mocman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

I have a dell laptop that will not update bios without being plugged in. The computer seems to have a problem charging. I have another dell computer that I have to charge the battery in and all is fine. I read that it is a bios problem. In order to update bios it has to be plugged in. I would like to know if anyone has solved this problem. Thanks In Advance.....MC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

If I understand your message....

What you need to do is fix the laptop so it can charge the battery and run on the AC adapter.

They are designed to not update the bios unless a battery and AC power is attached. That is to protect against a power loss while updating the bios killing the computer.

The test is if removing the battery, can the computer run off of the AC Adapter?
If not and you are sure the AC Adapter is good then you have hardware problems.
Normally the DC input jack is defective or the connection from it to the motherboard is bad. Less often the motherboard is bad.

You can find the Dell service manual on the Dell website for online viewing or downloading.

If the battery isn't charging because it is a non Dell battery or Non Dell AC adapter and the computer runs plugged in that is different. Then you'll need to have Dell parts to flash.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

I worked on a Dell Inspiron Laptop recently that was having software issues. I updated all the drivers and noticed a new Bios update but when I attempted to install it I got an error message "computer had to run on A/C and have 10% battery charge" so new bios wouldn't install. Computer ran fine on A/C but the battery was dead; wouldn't hold a charge. In this case the Bios update was not critical and my friend didn't want to spring for a new battery.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

I worked on a Dell Inspiron Laptop recently that was having software issues. I updated all the drivers and noticed a new Bios update but when I attempted to install it I got an error message "computer had to run on A/C and have 10% battery charge" so new bios wouldn't install. Computer ran fine on A/C but the battery was dead; wouldn't hold a charge. In this case the Bios update was not critical and my friend didn't want to spring for a new battery.

Exactly as designed. To protect the laptop.

The one thing I do not get is why buy a laptop with all their compromises unless you need to run it on battery sometimes.

By compromises I mean:
More expensive.
more delicate.
spill liquid into them and generally buy a new one time.
Smaller screen.
slower hard drive and less room for more drives.
Slower Optical drive.
Overall less durable.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users