Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot Windows 7. Am I screwed?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave2008

Dave2008

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hey, I'm Dave2008. Around Christmas time I got a new dell with Windows 7 pre-installed. For about three months it was working pretty well, but as of a couple days ago; I haven't been able to boot the thing. It's so bad that I can't even access safe mode. It just hangs at a blinking cursor.

The first thing I tried was running the backup discs. So I put old files on an emergency backup disc and tried to restore the hard drive back to the backup discs. Nope, didn't work, I still can't boot it. Another thing I tried was running the diagnostics CD that came with the computer. Nope, that didn't work either.

I know that there's something called "Startup repair" but unfortunately, my computer didn't come with a Windows 7 installation disc.

So is my computer pretty much screwed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

It just hangs at a blinking cursor.

It is likely a malware infection, namely an infection of the MBR (MasterBootRecord).
Let's have a look at the MBR.

Please try the following: You will need a USB drive/flashdrive and a new blank writable CD.

:step1: Please do the following on a working computer:
  • Download GETxPUD.exe to the Desktop.
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
    A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
You will use this CD to boot the ailing computer from.

:step2: Boot the ailing computer with the xPUD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
    A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
    • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
    • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to a USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?).
  • Click Tool on the top menu, and choose Open Terminal.
  • Type the following at the hash prompt:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Note: Leave a space between the following:
      • dd ... the executable application used to create the backup
      • if=/dev/sda ... the device the backup is created from (the hard drive when only one HDD exists)
      • of=mbr.bin ... the backup file to create - note the lack of a path - it will be created in the directory currently open in the Terminal
      • bs=512 ... the number of bytes in the backup
      • count=1 ... says to backup just 1 sector
        It is extremely important that the if and of statements are correctly entered.
  • Press the <ENTER> key.
    After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin.
  • Remove the USB drive from the ailing computer.

:step3: On the working computer:
  • Insert the USB drive, and navigate to the file mbr.bin
  • Zip-up the mbr.bin file:
    • Right-click on the file and choose Send to .. > Compressed (zipped) Folder.
      A zipped folder will appear in the same location as the mbr.bin file.
  • Please attach the zipped file to your next reply.
    This will allow the MasterBootRecord of your drive to be checked to see whether or not it is infected.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hey, I'm Dave2008. Around Christmas time I got a new dell with Windows 7 pre-installed. For about three months it was working pretty well, but as of a couple days ago; I haven't been able to boot the thing. It's so bad that I can't even access safe mode. It just hangs at a blinking cursor.

The first thing I tried was running the backup discs. So I put old files on an emergency backup disc and tried to restore the hard drive back to the backup discs. Nope, didn't work, I still can't boot it. Another thing I tried was running the diagnostics CD that came with the computer. Nope, that didn't work either.

I know that there's something called "Startup repair" but unfortunately, my computer didn't come with a Windows 7 installation disc.

So is my computer pretty much screwed?

It could possibly be a malware infection, but in any event, if you only bought the machine around Christmas, then you've still got at least nine months of free Dell tech support left. Since the tech support service forms a part of the purchase price of the machine and therefore something you've paid for, your first port of call in this particular case is Dell's helpline. They're more likely to be familiar with their own product and can offer advice on what to do next.

Also, practically every machine sold with a preinstalled operating system will have a crash recovery partition which you can access usually by hitting either F4 or F11 immediately after the manufacturer's logo (Dell in this particular case) disappears, but Dell will be able to advise which key it is. It should also be written down in the manual you received with the machine as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users