Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Error Message Upon Startup, Laptop Freezes Immediately

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SDMF Berserker

SDMF Berserker

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop running Windows XP, and every time Windows loads up I receive the error message "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Error Signature:
EventType: BEX P1: drwtsn32.exe P2: 5.1.2600.0 P3: 3b7d84a2
P4: dbghelp.dll P5: 5.1.2600.5512 P6: 4820a0b2 P7: 0001295d
P8: c0000409 P9: 00000000

This error message occurs, regardless if you do or don't click on anything within a few seconds of the Windows screen starting up. I cannot do a system restore because anytime you hover the mouse over the bottom taskbar, the cursor is an hourglass. I have attempted to try the "backdoor" way to pull up the start menu by pressing the windows key...nothing. Once this message has come up, nothing on the computer will respond. I attempted to boot in Safe Mode, the same error message comes up, but the screen stays completely black with only Safe Mode in the corners, nothing else. I am at a loss. I would love to not have to reformat my computer, I have so much on my HDD and it seems impossible to backup anything at this point. Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

Go to the Security forum. Post a new topic in, Am I Infected? What do I do?
You my need another working computer to download a few repair tools. To use on your infected computer.
Otherwise, you may have to do a system recovery.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

DrWatson can be a real pain (so I disable it on my computers) and hang up the machine for quite some time. I suggest starting the computer normally and then allowing DrWatson to do its thing. Give it an hour or two. Try Safe Mode if necessary. If, after two hours or so, the system is still frozen, then we have a problem to work on! Let me know if being patient has its reward.

Edit in reply to Nephilim1955: The system may not be infected with malware at all. Since the system cannot be used at all as it is, there is no point in posting in the Am I Infected? forum.

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 March 2012 - 01:47 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 SDMF Berserker

SDMF Berserker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll post the result after I try.

#5 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

DrWatson can be a real pain (so I disable it on my computers) and hang up the machine for quite some time. I suggest starting the computer normally and then allowing DrWatson to do its thing. Give it an hour or two. Try Safe Mode if necessary. If, after two hours or so, the system is still frozen, then we have a problem to work on! Let me know if being patient has its reward.

Edit in reply to Nephilim1955: The system may not be infected with malware at all. Since the system cannot be used at all as it is, there is no point in posting in the Am I Infected? forum.

Seems like having to wait two hours to see if Dr. Watson does his thing, or not, is time that could be better spent towards a System Recovery. Which takes about 2 to 3 hours. If Registry Editor could be accessed, Dr. Watson could be deleted from Startup. Finally, if the choice was not to run System Recovery due to loss of important files, then downloading specialized repair tools to a flash drive or CD. On a working PC to be used on the (possibile)infected one, would be another possible fix.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop running Windows XP, and every time Windows loads up I receive the error message "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Error Signature:
EventType: BEX P1: drwtsn32.exe P2: 5.1.2600.0 P3: 3b7d84a2
P4: dbghelp.dll P5: 5.1.2600.5512 P6: 4820a0b2 P7: 0001295d
P8: c0000409 P9: 00000000

This error message occurs, regardless if you do or don't click on anything within a few seconds of the Windows screen starting up. I cannot do a system restore because anytime you hover the mouse over the bottom taskbar, the cursor is an hourglass. I have attempted to try the "backdoor" way to pull up the start menu by pressing the windows key...nothing. Once this message has come up, nothing on the computer will respond. I attempted to boot in Safe Mode, the same error message comes up, but the screen stays completely black with only Safe Mode in the corners, nothing else. I am at a loss. I would love to not have to reformat my computer, I have so much on my HDD and it seems impossible to backup anything at this point. Please help!!!

Click the "FixIt" link on this Microsoft site to disable Dr. Watson: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188296

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users