Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac vs PC? (bear with me)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 heath-mcintire

heath-mcintire

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hello all, I am about to get a new computer for my freshman year in college. I know this question is over asked, but i am having a tough time picking.
i currently use PC's I have several from HP to Dell to Toshiba to Sony on some i run windows on some i run ubuntu. for my school work i always use a windows machine though, i find it more compatible. I am not a big gamer, I love my music but hate itunes so much, even if i got a mac i would still use google music. It seems like everyone is getting a mac and says they are the best for college. So i plan to be a bus admin major and want to know if the programs would likely be compatible? I thing i hate about apple is there prices and that you have to buy adapters just to use a hdmi port or vga, and what if i want to use both?! it seems alot harder that what i do know, just sit down plug in the vga and done, no need to buy other adapters. so what do you think i should do? thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

I would get a PC mainly because there are so many programs for Windows and it is far more cheaper to get a PC which is probably faster then the Mac. For music, you use Zune which has a great music service.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

In reality, with macs, all your paying for is the Operating system, hardware wise their the same as a PC, they use the same memory standard, same Intel CPUs, etc. The macintosh Operating system is a bit more efficient and secure then windows is, though not as secure or efficient as most linux variants such as Ubuntu. If you like the macintosh OS then they may be worth buying, however if your comfortable with windows then I would save the extra money and buy a PC-you get the same hardware with a slightly less secure OS which you can make just as secure with third party software such as Comodo Firewall for half the price. And if you really needed the added performance and security and arnt afraid to put a little effort into it, use a linux distro such as Ubuntu or OpenSuSe, and outperform a mac.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

Don't buy a Mac just because it's the popular thing to do. Too many people buy Macs for the status symbol and don't have a clue how to use them to their full potential.

Don't get me wrong, they are good computers. I wish I had one myself. But for those of us without bottomless pockets, a standard Windows-based PC is fine.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users