Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer does not beep after removing RAM + Video Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyC421

JonnyC421

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hello, Fixing a friend's computer. Power goes on, everything that should spin does, but monitors don't detect a signal. I think I narrowed it down to a bad mobo or CPU. Removed all the RAM as well as the video card, still hear no beeps. Yes it does have an internal speaker. Does this indicate a bad mobo? Is it possible it's just the CPU? I have a compatible cpu in my personal rig (q6600, socket 775) I can try but currently have not attempted. Any help is much appreciated!

Sorry in advance for not posting specs - I do not know them and am unable to look at the moment (posting from phone - so again my apologies for awkward typing)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

You can try to pull your CPU, and put the heatsink back on. Power it on briefly. If you do not hear the motherboard squealing (as it should know that it's brain is missing,) then you will be forsure that you have a bad mobo.

I am calling it as a bad motherboard as well, cpu's die far less often than motherboards.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#3 JonnyC421

JonnyC421
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, jtokarchuk. Did as you said, removed the CPU put the heatsink back on and heard nothing different. So I'm ready to call this a bad mobo and move on, thanks for the help!
Just out of curiosity why is it needed to reattach the heatsink?

#4 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

More of a hazard guard -- can be hot if touched.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users