Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Hard Drive (still...) Not Detected In Windows

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lnepoe888

lnepoe888

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:48 PM

This is relates to my other topic.

Old Topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...opic=35478&st=0

From old topic:

I recently got a new SATA Hard Drive to use as storage. Since my computer didn't have SATA, I also got a controller card.

Hard Drive is a Samsung SpinPoint P80SD Series HD160JJ
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pr...prod_id=HD160JJ

The Controller Card is a SYBA SDSATA-150R
http://www.syba.com/product/43/02/03/index.html

My Motherboard is an ABIT NF-7 (the original)

BTW: You will notice the drive is SATA2 (3Gb/s) and the card is SATA1 (1.5Gb/s). There is a jumper which I set to make it work at 1.5Gb/s
I also heard that I could disconnect my IDE hard drive, load up the drivers using the F6 option and format windows with my install CD (or even install it and format it later back to a blank drive). Would that work?

How would make this hard drive be detected by Windows?
Any help would be appreciated.

I aquired another controller. This time it's an Adaptec Serial ATA 1205SA Host Controller
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/p...ost+Controllers

The hard drive is the same.
The hard drive still doesn't show up in hard drive manager (in the administrator tools). (or partition magic) :thumbsup:
I used the drivers off the CD that came with the controller card.

After all this Windows still doesn't detect the drive.
Could something be wrong with the drive itself?? Cables maybe??

For some reason there still seem be traces of the old controller card's driver left. It doesn't show in the device manager, but the card's BIOS still loads just before windows boots even though the card is not physically in the computer. Could this be the problem as well?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:23 PM

BUMP

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

I'd suspect the drive or the card. The card's BIOS will load in the BIOS normally - but there should be an error if the card isn't present.

But, with all the switching around - I'd suggest zeroing everything out (reset the CMOS, format the hard drive, etc) and then trying to install it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:00 AM

You may have to enable sata in the bios even though the controller is seperate from the mb.

Abit should have online documentation that will tell you if that is necessary. It is for an IS7 even though the sata controller is onboard.

#5 lnepoe888

lnepoe888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Sorry for the bump but should I update my BIOS on my BIOS on my MB? If so which one do I use (direct link please). Because when I ckecked I didn't see anything to do with SATA. I noticed on the MB it says (on the actual board) SATA1 and SATA2 but there are no connectors. (The holes seem to be filled) It also says NF7 revision 2. Also could it be the hard drive?? Or Windows?

Thx for your time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users