Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no signal anymore from gpu. win7 64 pro. hd radeon 4780

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robwan

Robwan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi,

I went to start my computer this morning and it hung on the pulsing windows symbol, so i had to turn it off with the switch.

I turned it back on and it didn't even make it to the windows loading symbol this time, the motherboard just kept cycling through and through.

anyways i tried changing boot order loading a win7 installation disk but it changed nothing, the dvd was in but the motherboard just kept restarting.

and it gets worse now, to try and eliminate things, i unplugged everything apart from keyboard and psu. then i opened up the case and used compressed air to clean out gpu and other parts, ive done this before though and its never caused a problem, i took out ram and hdd also and reconnected to make sure it wasn't that.

after i put it all back, i turned it on and now i have no signal to screen, ive checked all connections too.

HOWEVER, other very notable things which may be causing the problem are as follows:

---the night before when it worked all fine, i did a ccleaner registry clean...but i do these regularly.
---Every time i turn on the computer after its been off for a while it vibrates and makes a rattling noise for about a min then goes back to the normal humming sound, and im pretty sure its the GPU as ive felt it vibrating during this process. its defo not the HDD since i unplugged it to check.

I'm a bit scared its the HDD and i seriously hope not cus i havnt backed up in a while stupidly. to check this, is it ok that i take the HDD out and connect it to another computer with the right sata connections? will it change the boot order or mess anything up as i dont want to screw with someone elses rig lol.i just wanna make sure my files are ok.

sorry for the hugely long post, any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Oh and my specs if they are needed
gigabyte EX58-UD3R
i7 920 (overclocked to 3.4)
hd radeon 4780 1gb
6gb corsair 1600 ram
32" hd screen (i use the rig for 3d design and gaming and have used it a hell of lot pretty solidly for the last two years)
os is windows 7 professional 64bit

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2012 - 10:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robwan

Robwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ok got it all working again :).

The thread can be closed or put to solved, however you work things around here.

Thanks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for posting your self-resolution.

If you care to provide the manner in which you resolved it...it may help viewers in a similar situation.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#4 Robwan

Robwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:46 AM

Ok yea sure.

well it was more down to my own stupidity in not seeding the ram properly, I didn't realize it had to be pushed in so hard, the mobo was bending lol.

Anyways, before i realized i hadn't put the ram in correctly, i went through other checking procedures, one being resetting the cmos battery, so this may have fixed the initial crash at startup, hence why its all working now maybe.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

:thumbsup: , appreciated.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

Hi,
One thought, where you said

---Every time i turn on the computer after its been off for a while it vibrates and makes a rattling noise for about a min then goes back to the normal humming sound, and im pretty sure its the GPU as ive felt it vibrating during this process.

This sounds very much like the fan going bad on the video card.

A new fan is usually silent.
A fan going bad makes a noise and may vibrate a bit until the bearings warm up and the lubricant starts to work.
A fan that has gone bad will be silent once more. This is not a good thing since the reason it is silent is that it has stopped spinning.

You might want to take a look at your GPU fan.

For future reference. The memory is not seated unless the clips have clicked back into the locked position. 90% angle to the motherboard.

Glad to hear it is working.

Have a good day
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Robwan

Robwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

This sounds very much like the fan going bad on the video card.

A new fan is usually silent.
A fan going bad makes a noise and may vibrate a bit until the bearings warm up and the lubricant starts to work.
A fan that has gone bad will be silent once more. This is not a good thing since the reason it is silent is that it has stopped spinning.

Thanks for the advice :). Yea its defo the bearings going. However when it goes silent the temp stays the same, and if i game with it, it just speeds up and is still quiet.
Its prob gonna go soon, ill keep an eye on the temp when it does lol.

I figured when it does, ill either get a new heat sink for about £30(47$) OR just get another card, i was looking at radeon 6770 and the 6850, both well priced and good benchmarks.

Unless you have any cheaper alternatives? could i just replace the bearings, or possibly add more lube you think?

Thanks

Edited by Robwan, 23 March 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hi, The bearings are part of the fan motor.

You could oil the bearings.
However getting to them can be tough and depending on the design of the card make it easy to damage the card. Not to mention that by the time you hear the bearings growling until they warm up they are being damaged.

Whether or not it is worth it to change the cards fan depends on if the card is doing its job or if you would really like a newer, faster card as well as if it makes economic sense to replace the fan. I do not consider £30(47$) inexpensive. Before you decide to change the fan look at the card and make sure it has no other problems about to surface. Such as capacitors going bad. Look on the right side of this page for Examples of bad capacitors. www.badcaps.net
If you see any bulging or leaking then don't buy the fan.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 March 2012 - 09:22 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Robwan

Robwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Hi, The bearings are part of the fan motor.

You could oil the bearings.
However getting to them can be tough and depending on the design of the card make it easy to damage the card. Not to mention that by the time you hear the bearings growling until they warm up they are being damaged.

Whether or not it is worth it to change the cards fan depends on if the card is doing its job or if you would really like a newer, faster card as well as if it makes economic sense to replace the fan. I do not consider 30(47$) inexpensive. Before you decide to change the fan look at the card and make sure it has no other problems about to surface. Such as capacitors going bad. Look on the right side of this page for Examples of bad capacitors. If you see any bulging or leaking then don't buy the fan.

Good Luck
Roger

Ok, got it , Thanks for your help, really appreciated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users