Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical Drive Question?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I have just finished re-formatting my old Win XP Home PC for my wife to use in her hobby room. I am used to this and thought I had installed everything correctly in regards to drivers, programs etc. On completion and after setting everything up I went to show my wife how to use the PC to view the user manual dvd that came with her sewing machine but when i loaded the disc although it shows the files etc, when I click on play I just get a screen full of rows of vertical coloured lines a bit like bar code in my VLC player with no length of playtime etc. At present I have no speakers attached to this PC (on order from E-Buyer at present)but put in a CD nonetheless and although it shows me the files/track listing, when I press play VLC opens but just stays on a black screen with no (soundless) movement or showing any sort of playing time. I have reinstalled the graphic card drivers and got the same results. It seems strange that it could be a faulty Optical Drive when I have just used it to reformat the OS using it and it was working perfectly well then. I can't really see that having no speakers attached at present would cause this but not sure. All the programs in device manager appear to be working correctly with no yellow marks or other warning signs etc. Anyone have any idea what could cause this?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Did you confirmed that the DVD disc is compatible or running on other DVD drives? Do you have other media player other than VLC in opening the certain disc?

Tekken

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:05 AM

yes to both questions the disc works fine on my Win 7 PC and won't play on Media player either.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Update:
After several related searches on Google I came across an article saying that it may have something to do with the DVD converter which reminded me that there was an MSI DVD 5.1 player disc that originally came with this PC many years ago but I had not installed it as I never used it using the VLC player for all my video/audio needs. I dug it out and installed it and can now open DVD's using it, but still cannot open them with VLC or Windows Media Player. When I used this PC myself before, I used VLC player as my default media player and never had any problems playing any media. Can someone tell me what I am missing here, is it as simple as a permissions setting or somesuch?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users