Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Randomly Shuts Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krimie

krimie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello. My computer is an eMachines ET1161-05.
I am having a weird issue. My monitor, which is actually a TV (Sanyo dp26649), will randomly turn black while I am on the computer. The TV itself is still powered on but it will display nothing for a few seconds (longer if I have been on longer) before turning back on. It happens frequently and lately weird lines have been appearing as well (everything from the color fading to negatives, to blue, red, and green lines falling vertically) before it shuts off.
This happens more often when I am watching videos than when I am reading an article or something. And that reminds me, when it shuts off the volume is drastically raised for a few seconds before the screen turns black.
I don't know anything about computers really so the only thing I could think of was the wires being loose but they're fine. So you know, please help when you can. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Onboard video or a video card is being used? Have you tried toggling default to lower settings for the resolution and check all connections are not faulty? How about another working monitor perhaps?

Edited by jhayz, 12 March 2012 - 10:57 PM.

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

As jhayz indicates using a monitor or another TV set will pin down for sure where the fault is, computer or TV?

Your post seems to be saying this only happens with the computer and not watching TV for example?

If it happens on every input. Satellite, cable, DVD player etc. then it'd be the TV set going bad.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 krimie

krimie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Wow okay, I didn't expect it to, but lowering the resolution seemed to work. The problem seemed to stop and I don't have the time right now to watch a billion youtube videos to test it so I guess I'll refer back here if it persists.
And yeah I wanted to test my computer with a different monitor but none of my friends had one they could spare so I came here.
Thank you both for the quick replies. (:

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

Depending on how you connect the PC to it the supported resolutions change. VGA is the one that can give a 1 to 1 mapping of pixels. The manual will give resolutions you can use.

HDMI will allow higher input resolutions, however that means that the internal scaler will downrez or uprez the input to the panels native resolution as will the VGA or any other input.

Best results will most likely come from the VGA input at its maximum setting.

Edited by rotor123, 14 March 2012 - 09:34 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users