Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming Video Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 smela

smela

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Good day. I hope somebody can help with this as I have exhausted my limited computer skills trying to fix it. When I stream a video from the web (e.g. youtube, CNN etc.),usually the first clip of the day works OK in the small window. Subsequent clips or expanding a clip to full screen tend not to work. The clips become choppy and the video/audio are not in sync. It seems small clips (less 2 min) work better than larger clips. Even if a clip is playing well, it tends to get worse with time. This happens whether I use Adobe Flash Player or Windows Media Player (WMP) although Flash seems to have more trouble than WMP. This is a 2004 Dell PC and this problem has just started. When I monitor the problem videos with Windows Task Manager while they are playing, I see that 100% CPU is being used. My anti-virus (McAfee) uses a lot of CPU as things boot but this is transient and quickly falls to 0. The Task Manager shows the browser(Chrome)using all of the CPU. It does not show anything else using significant CPU. Chrome shows up multiple times under processes in Task Manager. I have tried using MS Internet Explorer to watch the videos and it has the same problems as in Google Chrome.

The PC runs WIN XP SP3 with Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz with 512 MB DDR SDRAM @ 333 MHz. The Flash and Media players are up to date. I use Verizon FIOS and several tests show the download speed to be >25Mbps.

My daughter also has a 2004 Dell PC of essentially the same build and Flash/WMP videos play fine using 25-35% CPU.

Any ideas for fixing this will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

You might want to try another browser as Chrome has known compatibility issues with Flash.

#3 smela

smela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thank you for the suggestion frankp316 but the problem remains regardless if I use Chrome or Explorer.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Then right click on the Youtube player. That gets you into Flash settings and uncheck Hardware Acceleration.

#5 outmeal

outmeal

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

you might want to re-install the driver for your graphic card.

#6 smela

smela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thank you frankp316 and outmeal. I tried unchecking hardware acceleration in the flash player and also reducing hardware acceleration in the Control Panel/Display Settings both of which actually made things worse. I reinstalled the driver in Device Manager for something called Intel 82865G Graphics Controller which I assume is the graphics card. This made no difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users