Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem W/ Desk Top Icons, And Strange Extentions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MEvictim

MEvictim

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

i have windows ME, and the desk top icons, with the exception of Explorer icon, which is normal, all look like my tri-peaks icon. And when I left double click on them they open tri-peaks, instead of the program it should. EX: If I click on yahoo messenger icon, it opens tri-peaks. The only way i can open y mess. is to right click on it's icon, and and click open with, and then select yahoo messenger from a list. I have to do this with every program i open, except for Explore, which opens normally with left double click. Also, when i click start, programs and then long list of programs appears, all the programs names have .Ink at the end of them. I have to go thru same process as mentioned above to open programs this way. There's other strange stuff that happening and not sure if they are related. Whenever I try to access anything in control panel, I get the following message " Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have apropriate permission to access the item."
Any advise would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

Your best option right now is to submit a HiJack This Log for our team to review. See Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer.

Our HiJack Team are all volunteers and are very busy right now. You should receive a reply in 2-3 days. Please wait until a team member posts to your thread. Since our submitted logs are lined up by date and time, if you were to post into that topic before a team member replies, that reply would be the new date and time thus moving you backwards in the line. Once you do receive a reply things will move along quickly. If you do not receive a reply in five days post a notice here.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hi MEvictim

I have removed your Hijack Log from this thread as we only want them in the Hijack This Logs and Analysis forum, and I see you have posted one there also. We do that so that they won't be commented on or have advice given by unqualified people. This avoids erroneous and confusing solutions.

Your log will be replied to as quickly as possible, usually within a few days. Once you receive a reply things will move along quickly.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

Actually, Leurgy and jgweed did the same thing at the same time, oddly enough. The correct log is now in the Forum under jgweed's name (to avoid further confusion between the moderators both trying to fix the problem at the same time) and a PM has been sent to the poster with the link to it.
jgweed

Edited by jgweed, 19 February 2006 - 06:33 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:37 PM

Actually, as John and I had that log flying around it disappeared a couple of times but is now posted in the HJT forum with MEvictim's name aboard. Sorry for the confusion MEvictim and jgweed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users