Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing browsers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hanna

Hanna

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 01:31 AM

I have been saying for a long time that I wish I had some other choices besides Microsoft products! Which browser is the most used? I use IE but just because it was already on my computer when I bought it? I would LOVE to have less fears of problems with spyware and hijackers. Do I just choose one and download it? Do I have to remove IE?? Please forgive my rank beginner questions!

Hanna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:53 AM

Some questions I can answer, but one Im not sure of.

Which browser is the most used?

Thats the one Im not sure of. IE is actually the one that is the most used, but I know you are referring to which one after that.

Do I just choose one and download it?

Yes, it is actually that easy.

Do I have to remove IE??

No, you do not have to remove IE. Actually, if you was to remove it, you would have some bigger problems. The easiest way to have an alternate browser running is simply dont click IE for the internet. If you use a different icon from your ISP, then dont click it to get online(I will explain in a moment). Also, you need IE for when Windows wants to upgrade the OS.

My alternate browser is Opera, their homepage is here. Make sure that you chose the java version for d/l. When you install it, you will get a shortcut on your desktop that looks like a big O. Instead of your normal way of getting online (no matter which icon you click), click this one. The first time it is loaded, it may be a little slow because it is figuring out your configuration and connection. After you have established a homepage (if you want to), and have clicked around a few sites, close Opera for now. Re-open it, and you will see how much faster it is then IE.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:16 AM

Let me just say keep the old browser! You will need it for some things! Like microsoft updates! Very important too!

I suggest firefox. Its a great browser!
Get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hello Hanna.

Firefox & Opera are very good browser options, here is one I use and also recommend, Maxthon formally MyIE2, I can not recommend downloading the Affiliated Software (look on the right side of this page and you will see it) but that is your choice the only reason I can not recommend it is because I do not use it and can't offer any info. on it.

http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm#intro

#5 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:26 PM

Firefox Rules!!

Umm RiverRat isn't MyIE2 or Maxthon a shell like Avant and some others and built on IE? Not really getting away from MS.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 05:31 PM

Umm RiverRat isn't MyIE2 or Maxthon a shell like Avant and some others and built on IE? Not really getting away from MS.

Yep Bluie you are correct it is built on the IE frame but not by MS and offers more security features, Ad Hunter, Filters ect.

I have been using it for quite some time now and have not had any security problems.
http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

All browsers are subject to security issues. JMO

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image
Click Logo
Firefox

A few, alternative browsers, that you can check out:

mozilla
opera
Flashpeak SlimBrowser
avantbrowser

Edited by tg1911, 08 November 2004 - 06:20 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 08 November 2004 - 06:41 PM

And if you'd prefer to use something that has a light footprint on your operating system, is expandable via extensions, and is being added to all the time, then, join us that have switched to Firefox...

(I still hold IE in the background for the necessary updates to M$ OS: have experimented with "Opera" and found it dull, boring, and sluggish...)

But one can down load several, and have them all running at the same time to make one's own choice...

I like the tabbed browser of Firefox!

regards
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:31 AM

I have been using the Mozilla suite for several years now, and it is my default browser; Firefox is the stand-alone browser. Based on my experiences with Mozilla, I think you will find FF faster, more secure, and with the add-ons better able to be tailored to your individual needs (see the thread for FF extensions here at BC).
Alas! you will have to keep IE (and keep it patched) for several reasons. First it is part of your Windows operating system; thus, you cannot delete it and expect Windows to work (LOL). Second, MS requires it for it's auto update pages (surprise!). Third, because it has been so dominate, some web pages are designed to work only with MS proprietary versions of web programs, as opposed to using web standard applications.

Currently, depending on whose figures you believe, Mozilla/Firefox has the second largest usage after MS; some figures are currently as high as around 20 percent of visitor using FF---these site appear to cater to the more advanced computer user. Additionally, there is a grassroot spread Firefox Movement, which got 2 million users to download the PREVIEW version in only ten days. FF also has some very good support pages, and when it is installed, easy methods to import your IE favourites and settings.

I hope that covers your questions. FF is free and a small download; give it a couple of weeks of using it, and I think you will never use IE unless forced tol
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users