Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC performance slows to a crawl, then stops entirely

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 the Fish

the Fish

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

ETA: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 64-bit OS

Over the last few weeks, all programs began running slow. Firefox, Word, Windows, everything. Then they started with excessive hourglass. Then hanging. Everything "has stopped responding" after running for a bit. I could still force a close and reopen the program and it then would run again.

This morning, nothing would run. Everything "has stopped responding" as soon as I attempted to open it. I system restored to the beginning of the month, and things are now running faster than yesterday, but still not good.

Windows firewall is running
Windows Defender is turned off
PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus is running

The only new program I can think of that might have caused problems is moria beta 4.

Please advise!

Thank you.

Edited by the Fish, 12 March 2012 - 07:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Can you try troubleshooting the problem in safemode or running a clean boot of your system? To check if the problem persist. I am not sure if PC Tools with antivirus contributes to the problem also but you might wanna try removing and replacing it with another protections software, just in case. Any recent changes made would also be a candidate.

Tekken

#3 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

You can try removing all the programs you installed over the last two weeks. Reboot. Then observe the behavior.

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2012 - 10:36 AM.
Removed blank lines.

#4 the Fish

the Fish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I'm not as savvy as you guys are assuming.

troubleshooting the problem in safemode

Well, troubleshooting is exactly what I would like help with. I can get into safemode, but beyond system restore, I have no idea what to do next.

running a clean boot of your system

After googling, I think I understand what I'm supposed to do with this. It looks like a looooong process, though. How long do I run each iteration to know if the problem is recurring or not? Still, willing to try it.

I don't always remember what I've done. Is there a way to display recently installed programs?

Also, I've just gotten this recurring error: The entire screen goes black for a scary second or two, then comes back with this message: "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered"
Could this be related?

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Try looking for the latest version driver of your videocard(if one in installed). If nothing works after and your computer has onboard GPU, try using that one instead.

Tekken

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Did you remove (using Add/Remove Programs) the beta you installed?

If so, then I would run the chkdsk /r command afterward.

Louis

#7 the Fish

the Fish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Ok so I was able to update the driver on my videocard (had not been since 2008!), I left the Moria Beta alone. I did use add/remove to get rid of some stuff we weren't using. I also found and used Microsoft's new online troubleshooter.

I'm still a bit suspicios of the PC Tools, but my DH wants it left alone. In any case, everything seems to be running normally now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

#8 johnlsenchak

johnlsenchak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

ETA: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 64-bit OS

Over the last few weeks, all programs began running slow. Firefox, Word, Windows, everything. Then they started with excessive hourglass. Then hanging. Everything "has stopped responding" after running for a bit. I could still force a close and reopen the program and it then would run again.

Please advise!

Thank you.

I have this same problem with my Vista Service Pack 1 running 2 gigs of RAM with a slow Intel dual core processor. It's like the hard drive thrashes (swap file) hard to make up for the lack of available RAM. I know this to be the case because playing City-ville on Facebook will max out the available memory. This will either lock up Firefox and or Windows Vista until the hard drive thrashing stops. I tried disabling Vista pre-fetching and also tried removing programs out resident memory during start up. Any time you run a CPU intensive program (like flash) you will max out the available memory, which cause real bad performance/hanging from the computer

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Open MSconfig disable everything except your antivirus.If you connect wirelessly then do not disable anything that reads wireless.REoot.You do not need anything other than your AV starting with your machine.

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

Hit the start button in lower left hand corner. Then in the run box type msconfig, then hit the services tab then put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?Please post back to us in a vertical list.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902
unzip Autoruns to your desktop run it.See any entries that read file not found when you see them right click and select delete do this only for the entries that read file not found also uncheck any scheduled task that are set to run on your machine,close the program.

After completing the above task then Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
double click on TFC.exe to run it.If TFC doesnt prompt a reboot then please do so manually

Hit start at the lower left hand corner type cmd in the run box and copy and paste the following info chkdsk /r Hit enter it will ask to schedule a check disk on the next reboot hit y type exit then reboot your machine it will take a good while to finish let it be this is normal.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/MiniToolBox.exe

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.

Then defrag your machine. http://www.vcsoftwares.com/SpeeDefrag.html

#10 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Uninstall PC Tools and install MSE as your free antivirus.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

download and use ccleaner:

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Any update for us?