Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

have to run sfc /scannow after every restart

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 billmorse

billmorse

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

You were all very helpful fixing my wife's computer (thank you etavares!) but now mine is acting up.

I'm running Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire E380 with 2GB ram. Whenever I have to restart the computer, e.g. for an update, I lose my network settings. No internet, no printers, even the Windows Activation code is missing. I'll run sfc /scannow and after 10-15 minutes it shows that there are no problems - but everything is restored again!

Any suggestions?

Edited by Budapest, 12 March 2012 - 05:24 PM.
Moved from Mini-Guides ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

I lose my network settings

What do you mean loose your settings? Is the intermittent problem on wired or wireless connection? Have you tried resetting the modem/router and trying different LAN ports and cable?

Tekken

#3 billmorse

billmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I have a small home network (3 computers) two of which are wired and a 3rd (a notebook) wireless. My wired desktop is having the problem. It's not the router or cable. Every time I do a restart I lose internet connectivity and none of my printers show up. When I right-click the network icon on the toolbar it tells me that I'm not connected to a network (there's a red x on the icon.) When I right-click Properties on My Computer, it does not show the Windows Activation key. Only when I run the sfc /scannow command does everything return to normal. The scannow.txt file is blank which would appear to indicate that there were no problems but clearly there is something wrong.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hello and welcome..
For the connection try these...

Please click Start > Run, type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.
Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.
Verify if "Use a proxy..." is checked, if so, UNcheck it and click OK/OK to exit.
Now check if the internet is working again.

OR

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If needed : type these one line at a time, press enter after each line. See if it works after each.

netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset
ipconfig /flushdns

WIN7.. Please Download this file, Click Me
Right-click on winsockfix.bat and click on Run as Administrator.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 billmorse

billmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

Nothing worked. The proxy box was not checked and none of the netsh commands had any effect.

Only the sfc /scannow command worked

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

So you are saying SFC fixed it?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 billmorse

billmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

SFC fixes it but when I do a restart the problem comes back and I have to use sfc again.

I just ran some updates and the last restart went OK. Maybe the updates resolved the problem????

#8 billmorse

billmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

quick followup - I just installed some new camera software and when I restarted, the problem returned!

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

Whenever I have to restart the computer, e.g. for an update, I lose my network settings. No internet, no printers

Start-up services default settings may have been changed. Such as DHCP Client or WLAN autoconfig. These two should be on automatic. Can you check these by typing service.msc (Enter) in your Start - Search programs and files box?

Edited by jhayz, 15 March 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Tekken

#10 billmorse

billmorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

DHCP Client was on Automatic, and I changed WLAN to be the same. No change. I restarted once and it was fine, but the second time I restarted I lost connectivity again and had to run scannow.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

If you are logging in by a user account, try creating another one. The former could be corrupted.

Edited by jhayz, 23 March 2012 - 02:17 AM.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users