Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build hangs and display scrambles

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Nozmo

Nozmo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hello to all,

I am having a really wierd problem and am starting to pull my hair out diagnosing it.

I can build Windows 7 X64 happily on a single HDD however as soon as I begin to use a 2nd and 3rd HDD in RAID 1 or a mirror the PC freezes and the display gets scrambled. All I can do is reset it. This happens when also reading/copying files from an external HDD to either of the 2 TB HDD even when formatted as a simple volume.

I have run memtest even replaced the motherboard but the error persists.

I am running an ASUS P8H67-M-PRO, Core i5 2400, 8GB Corsair RAM, 2 WD Cavier Green 2TB HDD and a Corsair CX600 PSU

I have rebuilt countless times but the error remains however there are no issues within the BIOS.

It does seem more stable when the PC is using the windows standard VGA driver and not the Intel HD graphics driver.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest version, made sure all drivers are up to date yet the same result.

Please help, I have attached an image to show the problem.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 14 March 2012 - 01:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Do the two motherboards have the same BIOS revision? Have you tried upgrading the BIOS?

Usually when video scrambles, RAM is the culprit. Do you have any extra RAM you can try? (Sometimes the problem is flaky enough that memtest has to run for a day or so to catch it)
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#3 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi thanks for your reply.

Indeed the BIOS is updated to the latest version and the fault was evident before and after the upgrade.

I have run memtest for 8 hours and also encoded some home videos using Canopus Edius when the Intel HD graphics driver is not loaded without issue. However when the driver is installed I get the issue with copying files or installing Office.

This really only seems to occur when accessing to/from another HDD that is not on the OS. I have run chkdsk in Safe mode on both drives with no issue.

Is it possible, and forgive the sound of this question, that a VGA monitor could cause these issues?

Last night I connected the PC via HDMI to my TV and was able to run chkdsk /r with the Intel HD driver. I just cant seem to figure out how a monitor could do this, so I keep thinking its coincidence.

#4 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

It's highly unlikely, but possible? Have you tried another VGA monitor? It's odd that the HDMI out would not duplicate the same issues. You've at least narrowed it down.

#5 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

I havent yet I am going to borrow one from work this evening, actually its a dvi monitor, and I will see if I can initialize the array, if this goes through then I will be certain that its a monitor issue.

I have never come across it before and still think its coincidental. The other thing that came to mind was the sockets as these were obviously different when I connected the PC to my TV? My old PC was sitting there happily for 3 years though without issue.

#6 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Interesting. Separate video card? Or onboard?

I would think it's coincidental too, but you never know.

I would try dvi to a monitor, and vga as well if you have. Sometimes when video cards go bad, the dvi pops first.

If it's onboard and it's relatively new, I would doubt that is the case. Yo uare on the right track. Check with a different monitor first.

#7 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Onboard video.
Every component brand new. The original mobo was a P8H67-M-LE had this issue presumed DOA so bought a mobo this time a P8H67-M-PRO but same issue.
I will see how I get on this evening and let you know!

#8 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

Ok, plugged the borrowed monitor in last night built the array copied all my files left it running prime all night and not a single glitch.

As this has happened on 2 motherboards I cant believe that both have faulty VGA ports so I have concluded that my monitor has caused this issue.

How I do not know, I have never seen anything like it.

Edited by Nozmo, 14 March 2012 - 05:23 AM.

#9 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I have seen monitors with bad dvi ports before. Brand new monitor as well?

Most monitors have a 3yr warranty, so I would consider sending it away.

#10 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

At a guess and seeing that this has happened with previous MBDs', I'd say that your problem doesn't lie with your monitor, but with your PSU: http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600.html
If you check the specs for it, you'll see that you've only got 40A on the 12V+ rail to play with which isn't a lot for the type of hardware you've got in there. Corsair describes it as being suitable for an office PC: http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/builder-series.html

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

Hi

Might be the monitor driver.

Have you tried changing the resolution or refresh rate?

Are you using the right driver for that monitor or a generic one?

James

#12 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

Hi I am using the latest Intel driver downloaded from the ASUS site.

The Corsair PSU should be enough to power my hardware, 40A for 3 HDD and 1 Optical drive onboard graphics is fine and this has been confirmed by the Ram Guy @ corsair.

Intersetingly I have had a repeat episode plugged into a DVI monitor last night, this is an old BenQ I have borrowed from a collegue at work. I was tring to setup a mirror and it just died with the same problem.

I am somewhat losing my mind.

#13 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

I was talking about the driver for the monitor. For example, one of mine is using the driver...
Viewsonic VX2450 Series

It is running at a refresh rate of 60Hz at a resolution 1920X1080 with 32 bit color.

What driver are you using?

Have you tried changing the refresh rate or resolution?

James

#14 Nozmo

Nozmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

The driver is listed as BenQ 17** (I dont know exactly as I am not infront of the PC) at 1280 x 1024 32 bit and a refresh rate of 60Hz.

The previous monitor I had connected via VGA was a Yusmart 19" widescreen which didn't have a driver.

I havent tried changing the resolution as it occured whilst setting the mirror up and again when running the diagnostics on a WD drive. I then tested the other drive and it completed successfully.

Could a faulty HDD cause this problem? Or is it the PSU?

Edited by Nozmo, 15 March 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#15 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't think the HDD could do that.

What you are seeing is a shift in the video data. It is like one byte to the left or something. The offset is er... offset. If it was just the monitor, your PC would not 'freeze' like you said it does.

Typically, that is...
the video memory (but you tried more than one).
The video driver (VGA works, HDMI works, Intel HD does not)
So either you are installing the wrong Intel HD driver or the monitor's driver/setup is incompatible with the Intel HD driver that you are using.
Last but not least the cable between the computer could be faulty but that should give different looking problems than you are getting and probably would not cause the PC itself to 'freeze'.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 15 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users