Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re formatting my hard disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beeky

Beeky

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:33 AM

I am hoping to buy a new computer and will hopefully sell my current netbook and laptop to help fund this purchase. I need to reformat my disk and do so in a way that my personal files (documents, spreadsheets etc) cannot be recovered by someone else. I realise that most people wont be in the slightest bit interested in my files but some keep passwords and bank details etc. How can I securely clean (hopefully without cost) the disk before re-installing the operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Check the PC Security section...there's a few good programs that will allow you to delete files making them unrecoverable. This will save you from having to reformat the HDD and then go through the process of reinstalling Windows, updating it, etc. etc.

Hope this helps! :thumbup2:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Beeky

Beeky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Many thanks, I will try the options in yor link.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

You can delete the files first and then use Ccleaner or BleachBit to overwrite all of the free space.
Don't forget to delete all of the saved passwords, cookies and bookmarks in your browsers before overwriting.
CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

BleachBit - Clean Disk Space, Maintain Privacy
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users