Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate Freezes for 2 Minutes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bywind

bywind

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

On a random basis Windows 7 freezes for about 2 minutes, then proceeds with the activities in normal fashion. The operating system and software is on a Solid State Drive while everything else is on a hard drive. I have troubleshooted all the normal suspects but cannot find the reason for the temporary freeze. Any ideas where to go from here???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

Hmm... Just did an RMA on a Kingston SSD myself. Waiting for the return to be sent now. Read the following and see if it sounds the same or totally different.

In my case I found that the SSD would just disappear from the system. I think it was a controller based issue. I also found this was very selective when it happened. If I installed from DVD Win 7 Ultimate x86 it was fine. If I installed Linux x64 it was fine. If I installed Win 7 Ultimate x64 the install would fail 9 out of 10 tries, or more. Once installed I setup dual boot for Windows and Linux. Under Linux it would BSoD once in a while under load, even less often doing little else than surfing and email. Under Windows it would happen often and at any time but always when under load such as doing a full virus scan.

Searching the internet revealed that this was a known issue that was becoming more common. I emailed the vendor and suggested we test first. After doing a firmware update supplied by the vendor things didn't improve so we did an RMA.

You didn't supply any information other than your running Windows 7 Ultimate on an SSD. Can you please spell things out a little more so that I and others can comment if we have any ideas?

"all the normal suspects" doesn't apply as we don't know what that would cover or your knowledge level.

Examples;

Windows 7 x86 or x64?

Laptop or desktop?

Did you install anything new? Have you looked at your drivers or updated any?

Is it usually after you do something that this occurs? Have you done a chkdsk /f in a while? (Mine started doing it often.)

Have you gone to the vendors site and/or forums and checked if anyone else has had any issues?

When did this start, how long has it been happening, and was it after an update or upgrade/addition?

I hope this starts you off better or points you in the right direction.

#3 bywind

bywind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a desktop. I haven't installed any new software or hardware or updated any drivers lately. The freezing problem has been occuring since I installed the SSD on a new machine. My plan was to contact appropriate vendors once I got the issued narrowed down to specific hardware or software. Also I have not performed a chkdsk /f on this machine.

The problem seems to be random so I can't associate it with a specific activity. Most recently I was on the internet and clicked on a link. The machine immediately froze for 2 minutes. I have been running Resource Monitor and tried to capture the latest event. See the following image which hopefully will help in identifying the problem. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by bywind, 13 March 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

Try using the Windows 7 Performance Monitor to narrow down the cause: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744567%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

#5 bywind

bywind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

The Performance Monitor looks like a great tool, but there are so many options and Scenarios to pick from, I'm not sure what to choose. Any suggestions? TY!

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

I just finished installing my replacement and making the dual boot OSs work again. Linux was straight forward but Windows was a pain. Used auto repair which tied things to "D:" which I had to undo.

Anyway, as this seems to be all SSD issues I would search google for your drive model and the issue your having.
IE: VendorName ssdModelNumber PCModelNumber IssueDiscription

Or this: OCZ SSD123R45 ASUS ABC123 Random freezing Windows 7

Within minutes I was able to confirm my issues and learned I couldn't repair them myself so called for RMA.

I quick search using the limited information you provided has a lot of hits but the top hit had this to say to another user with your issues and then goes into further detail. "You are likely saddled with an SSD that uses the infamous JMicron JMF602 controller. The fact that it is both a SATA and a USB device is a hint, since the JMF602 is one of the few controllers with USB support build in."

Why does my Windows 7 PC / SSD drive keep freezing?

See if this helps or gets you to reach out to your vendor. (Most offer a few years warranty.)

#7 bywind

bywind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Excellent! I sent a message to the manufacturer.

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Performance Monitor looks like a great tool, but there are so many options and Scenarios to pick from, I'm not sure what to choose. Any suggestions? TY!

Difficult for me to say since it's not my machine. Try and choose the options which sound familiar.

You could also try this Microsoft tool which might help narrow the field: Microsoft Process Explorer

Which AV do you you use? Most of these utilities incorporate various scanners which kick into life whenever you do something with the machine like start an app or install a program. File scanners in particular will cause the system to halt for a while while the scanner does it stuff. You could try disabling them temporarily to see if it makes any difference. If you use AVAST, you should have an orange icon in the systray. Right click that and go to "Avast Shields Control" and choose to disable all shields for one hour. That should give you time to determine whether your AV is the culprit or not. Look for a similar setting if you use some other AV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users