Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe (dnscache) 99% cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ben123456

Ben123456

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hi, after reboot, when any program attempts to connect to the internet the svchost.exe (NETWORK SERVICE), which runs DNSCACHE, uses 99% Cpu for about 5 mins. Currently I have disabled DNSCache and the problem is gone, but I googled and discovered that this can cause me to use more data than normal.

I was wondering if there is any way to resolve this problem.

My computer has recently been freshly reinstalled. I run win xp home sp3. I have scanned for malware and viruses and updated all programs.

Is it possible this problem is related to my hosts file? Or to my wireless cards drivers?

The only solution I could find through google was 3 years old, and I was unable to follow it because it required me to install obsolete windows updates.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Ben123456, 11 March 2012 - 11:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

The only solution I could find through google was 3 years old, and I was unable to follow it because it required me to install obsolete windows updates

Please remember that your XP is a lot older than 3 years. Some of these ideas are still OK to use on all XP units.
If you reinstalled XP SP3, then you will usually need to reinstall all the security and some other updates that may be missing.

#3 Ben123456

Ben123456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

No I was unable to follow it because you cannot install older updates over newer ones. My XP is completely up to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users