Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot up normal or safe mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 arloer

arloer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:42 PM

Help, my computer will not boot up normally or in the safet mode after installing Norton Power Eraser. Performed the following actions:
1. Attempted to use System Restore, program will run but failed.
2. System Repair also failed.
3. Performed the following steps from your Forum Dated Feb 2012 (Computer will not boot after using Norton Power Eraser (Help); Technician is OH MY
a. Diagnose Blue Screen Error 0x0000007b (0xFFFFFF88009A98E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
b. Performed a Chkdsk/r from Recovery Environment, no problems detected.

Can only boot it up after reseting "/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN" all the time.

During the initial start up for the day, the computer did not boot up properly and it performed a System Restore, then after rebooting, it did a Blue Screen. Started Malwarebytes and removed SVCHOST.EXE. Attempted to update definitions and scanvirus but Norton will not open. Then Norton pop indicating an error code and suggested to load and open Power Eraser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Performed the following steps from your Forum Dated Feb 2012 (Computer will not boot after using Norton Power Eraser (Help); Technician is OH MY

Link to the topic referred to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441990.html

You wrote: "Can only boot it up after reseting "/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN" all the time."
So, you are able to boot the system and load Windows successfully.

When you started Windows, did you then complete the next step suggested?

Running "bcdedit"

--------------------

* Please delete the /MININT part and press enter to continue booting. This should bring you in Windows.
* Boot into Windows normal mode
* Immediately do the following: click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right click on Command prompt and click "Run as Administrator".
* Type the following line and press enter.

bcdedit /set {default} winpe no

* Once done, please continue with the next step.

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic441990.html/page__view__findpost__p__2594667

Where you then able to download and run DDS to produce a log? If so .... please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 arloer

arloer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

I can not find the Accessories folder on the Start Menu, I can access it after pressing the right button on the Start and clicking "Open all users", but there is no "Command Prompt", I tried to use the Run program from the Start Menu but Windows can not find "Run".

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

I tried to use the Run program from the Start Menu but Windows can not find "Run".

So, you do have Run on your Start Menu. Is that correct?

When you click on Run, then you get a message saying "Windows can not find Run". Is that correct?

If the above are not correct, then please explain/describe fully exactly what you see, what you do, and what happens.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 March 2012 - 07:31 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

We are dealing with Windows 7 here. Please try the following:
  • Click the Start button.
  • Type cmd (in the open search box).
  • In the search results list that appears, at the top, right-click on cmd.exe > Run as administrator.
Success?

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 March 2012 - 07:56 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 arloer

arloer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

I was able to locate the cmd.exe and performed the next step. Below is the log:

Edited by arloer, 12 March 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Very good!

Now ... please edit your previous post and remove the DDS log: Posting the log in this forum is not allowed ... and will do you no good.

.... please follow the instructions in the
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

When you have done that, post your log in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum", NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team experts.

Please let us know, here, if you have been able to successfully start your new topic.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 arloer

arloer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

The computer is starting up normally, I tried to start up Norton and it failed, Norton Autofix detected Error 8504, 104, The next step is to download Norton Power Eraser. Please advise.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

If you suspect that the computer is infected with malware, then you should follow the steps in the Preparation Guide and post the requested logs in the Malware Removal Logs forum ... as per my above instructions ... and get the system cleaned.

The best advice I can give you concerning a Norton/Symantec product is to un-install it, and if applicable, to then download and run the Removal Tool to complete the un-installation thoroughly. Then install a free antivirus product and use the Windows firewall.

Free antivirus suggestions:
  • MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials)
  • Avira
  • Avast!

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 March 2012 - 04:53 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 arloer

arloer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks I was able to get my system to boot up normally. Noticed that Norton wasn't working and decided to uninstall it. During the Norton Uninstall, it deleted or changed or hid all my programs. will post a new help

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yes, definitely get rid of Norton because one of the versions, namely Norton 2006 has been hacked and the source code posted on the web: http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Source-code-of-Symantec-Antivirus-posted-on-the-net-1468974.html

For a major player like Symantec to fall victim to hackers doesn't give you much confidence in any of their products.

Personally, I'd recommend AVAST since I've used the freebie version for a couple of years now and have been more than satisfied with it. They also have a good support forum. Download from here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=95170.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users