Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cadiann

Cadiann

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hello there.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not a laptop I stumbled upon is worth the money it costs, or not.

I was walking through Walmart the other day, and I found a pretty nice looking Samsung laptop for $498. The link has the specs and stuff included, but here's some just in case you don't feel like clicking it just yet. :)

It has an AMD Quad Core 1.6 GHz A6 Accelerated Processor, 4GB memory (expandable to 8GB), 500GB hard drive, a webcam, HDMI output, a 4-in-1 media card reader, DVD burner, and up to 5 and a little more than a half hours of battery life. It has Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics.

Based off of that information and what I know about computers (which isn't much, but enough to get by xD), this is a pretty good computer, but I'm not sure if it's worth the price, or if it's a good deal. I do a lot on my computer, and I always have at least 4 programs open. I'd like to use a new computer for gaming, so I'd like one that is able to play games, which is why this one stood out to me. It has a pretty decent graphics card, I believe. I would prefer a slightly better one, but I believe this one would work for what I want to do. It also has an HDMI output, which means I could plug it into my new HD TV. The webcam is nice to have too, so I'm glad that it has that. The amount of space on it shouldn't be a problem in the least. I've never really used all of my hard drive space on any of my computers. To me, this computer seems like a good one.

However, I did say I'd like to use it for gaming. I would also need to use it for school work, as I will be going away to college soon.

As far as games go, I would like to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, and the Penumbra series. There are a few more I'd like to play, but I'm not quite sure what they all are right now. I believe the graphics card it comes with is good enough to play these games, although maybe not at max settings (which I don't quite mind; as long as I'm able to play them and be able to see all the graphics clearly and have it not lag terribly).

So, question time. Is this computer capable of playing those games? Is it good enough to use for gaming and school work? Is it worth the price? Are there any better computers around the same price that you know of? If this computer can't play these games, what do you suggest?

Thanks a bunch. :)

-Cadiann

Edited by Cadiann, 11 March 2012 - 09:58 PM.

YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

Yes, the laptop should be able to play does games since they don't have high system requirements. Well you don't find a laptop that has a quad core processor and with some decent graphics card in it for under $500, so it's great find! Other Intel laptops for under $500 use those crappy Intel HD Graphics and dual core. In terms of schoolwork, if it is just Microsoft Office programs and some other basic task then it should be fine.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Cadiann

Cadiann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

Awesome! I'll probably go for this one then. I've read a lot of positive reviews, and very few negative ones. The only negative ones were about how the build of the laptop was kinda crappy and awkward, but I don't really mind that. I found a bunch of others at Walmart too, and they were nice, but they all came with the Intel graphics. :( Made me sad.

I also found this laptop... I love the way it looks and all the space it has, but I'm not sure which graphics card is better. I can never tell the difference. Is HD 6520G or GTX560M?

Any idea what graphics settings it might be able to play the games on with either computer?

Edited by Cadiann, 14 March 2012 - 05:22 PM.

YOU. Yeah, you. Have you played Amnesia: The Dark Descent? Do you know of a moderately priced or a cheap computer that is capable at playing it? Message me! Please and thank you. :D

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

The laptop you found is high end gaming laptop and it is very capable of playing games the you mentioned and can play other games. The con of the laptop is the weight of it and it can produce lots of heat when your gaming. Overall a great gaming laptop from Asus.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Cadiann

Cadiann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Alright. Which one is better deal, though? Which would you suggest buying? I'd rather get one that's going to last me longer, so I don't have to turn around and upgrade in like, 2 years because something way better came along.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Well if you want one that lasts longer then the Asus model would hold on a few years depending on the future games you might play.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users