Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD 0x0000007e SRTSPL.SYS cannot repair

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

Wife's Gateway laptop running Vista Home Edition

The computer boots up in normal mode and I am able to log in at the user screen, but before all desktop icons even finish loading I get the blue screen with:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer...

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007e (didn't catch the numbers in these parentheses)

*** SRTSPL.SYS

Tried sfc /scannow under System Recovery Options but won't allow scan because System Repair is scheduled.

Tried chkdsk /f /r but won't allow

Tried to run in last config but crashes just as above.

I have no restore point to return to.

Computer freezes up on "Loading Windows Files" screen when I try to run in any of the three safe modes.

Not sure what to do from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Do you have the vista disk??

#3 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

No I do not. The Vista was pre-installed.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

You can purchase a disk to get into the recovery console and do a startup repair or system restore pretty cheap.Which may be your only option at this point unless you can get a disk from a friend.
http://systemdiscs.com/?utm_source=neosmart&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=Vista_Recovery

#5 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I can get into Windows Recovery as is. However, Startup Repair is not finding anything wrong and I cannot do a System Restore because there are not restore points to restore to.

It just crashes so quick when I try to log in, I can't get to anything and the fact that it gets stuck trying to boot in safe mode is certainly not making the process any easier. If there is some way to solve the problem through regedit, I can handle that through Windows Recovery. I just don't know what the steps would be or what I would be looking for at this point.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Srtspl.sys with description Symantec AutoProtect is a driver file from company Symantec Corporation belonging to product AutoProtect.

Source: http://www.runscanner.net/lib/SRTSPL.SYS.html

See the following link: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/dell-e6500-blue-screen
If the contained information is as good as it appears on first sight, then it should enable you to overcome the problem and get Windows up and running again.

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 March 2012 - 10:27 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for the symantec link. I was just on that site last night before I posted the thread. I tried following the steps but got stuck at #9 because I don't have any idea which subkey corresponds to the last driver installed because I don't know what driver was the last one installed. If I could figure that out then those steps just might be the right solution. Any ideas? Thanks.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

You are looking for srtspl.sys
  • ">Search srtspl.sys<"
I also suggest that you note (write it down) the value before you change it to "4".
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I didn't see "srtspl.sys" last night when I tried searching for it, but I will try again this evening when I get home (which is where the computer is). I will let you know the outcome. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

#10 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

I can get the computer to run in safe mode now but I can't get it to boot up with Windows Recovery on USB. I continue to get a flashing cursor on the lefthand side after changing BIOS.

#11 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Windows continues to crash to the blue screen in normal mode because of the Symantec. Going to try to uninstall in safe mode if possible.

#12 Not Cool Man

Not Cool Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

In case it is useful, I got safe mode to work by hitting ctrl+alt+delete while it had appeared that it was frozen on the "Loading Windows Files" screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users