Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player won't play DVD's in HD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Torn05

Torn05

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

So I have The Big Bang theory season 2 on DVD, and it is in HD, and plays as it should on an X-Box 360 or DVD player. My PC on the other hand plays this DVD in a very low resolution which looks quite poor on my new monitor, and I can't find any setting that effect the resolution of playback and I don't think there is one. I'm pretty sure it's not reading it as HD when it is... This is My CD/DVD Burner/Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 . So any help guys(and gals)? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

Seems to be a codec issue to me...the issues I've seen with WMP all have to do with having the proper codecs installed.

I would download/install the K-Lite codec pack, http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KLite-Codec-Pack-Full/1094057842/3 .

Alternately, you could try a different player such as VLC Meida Player.

Louis

#3 Torn05

Torn05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

So I installed both of these and neither seem to play it in HD. VLC does however play it in a higher resolution then Mindows Media Player. Any other ideas? And thanks for the help so far

Edit:
Is there any chance My DVD drive is not fast enough to play the DVD at full resolution?

Edited by Torn05, 08 April 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Just to be sure you know, DVD resolution is 720 by 480 NTSC or 720 by 576 PAL.
Not anywhere near HD. 1080i (p) would be 1920 by 1080 resolution for example. the DVD is a 480i whereas HD is thought of as 720P or 1080i or 1080p.

Your DVD player and PS3 are most likely up-scaling the DVD.

Do you have DVD playing software on the computer, such as PowerDVD ? that would give better results.

Edited by rotor123, 10 April 2012 - 03:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

So I have The Big Bang theory season 2 on DVD, and it is in HD, and plays as it should on an X-Box 360 or DVD player. My PC on the other hand plays this DVD in a very low resolution which looks quite poor on my new monitor, and I can't find any setting that effect the resolution of playback and I don't think there is one. I'm pretty sure it's not reading it as HD when it is... This is My CD/DVD Burner/Drive - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289 . So any help guys(and gals)? Thanks in advance.

You don't say what your OS is? If it's XP, it doesn't support HD playback. You need minimum Vista for that.

Also, both your graphics card and your monitor need to be HDCP-compliant. If either of them lacks HDCP digital output, then the operating system will downgrade the signal to a much lower resolution regardless of whether you have Vista or Windows 7 installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users