Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Partition Is Not The Windows Partition

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

I've been re-installing XP about every 2-3 months because I'm very hard on the OS by trying new programs and then deleting them. Last time, for the first time, the Windows partition is different than the boot partition. There are a total of 4 partitions on a single physical drive. Boot.ini is as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=8
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="MS XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The default= parameter used to specify "partition(1)". I have no idea how the change happened. How can I put the boot partion back onto the Windows partition, specifically partition(1) ? I can restore the 3 data partitions, if necessary, but don't know how to identify partition(1) and make sure it is made the boot and Windows partition. BTW, I've been using Partition Majic and the Windows install disc to create and manage the partitions.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

Reformat your hard drive, make it three partitions:

1 for the op system
2 for all programs not part of the op system
3 for all data.

Then do a fresh installation of Windows.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

There are 4 partitions now. If I wipe the disk and start from scratch, how do I know this problem won't happen again ? How did it happen in the first place ? Will copying (or moving) the root files to the Windows partition and then editing boot.ini fix the problem ? How does Windows determine which partition should be the root partition and which should be the Windows partition ?

Wiping the disk is an extreme last-ditch fix. Surely there must be a more elegant way ?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:08 PM

Windows will always try and write the boot info to the boot drive (which is, in most cases C:\ ) - it'll even do this if you're using SATA and happen to have an IDE drive still installed. And it'll put it on the first partition on that drive. That's where the BIOS looks for it.

Now, as for the default Windows installation - you'll have to manually install it on the boot drive - first partition. There isn't a way to move it to the boot drive - although you may be able to migrate your settings from the old to the new installation.

It may be that the changing of the partition numbers is related to where Windows installed itself. When you install Windows - pay careful attention to where it says that it's installing to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice. I found the problem. Somehow - who knows why - the first physical partition got changed into an extended partition. I guess that during the last OS install Windows saw that it couldn't make that the boot partition though it could put all the OS files there. It put the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, etc., on the next physically available partition, though somehow it determined that it was partition #4, not #2.

I had to run System Commander off of its boot CD in order to convert the extended partition back to a "normal" (primary ?) one. This, however, wiped the partition of all data, and so, I had to do a re-install. I'm getting pretty good at doing re-installs, setting restores and application re-installs !

Edited by pascor22234, 24 February 2006 - 03:32 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:24 AM

Partition the drive so that the programs you typically install then uninstall are on a virtual partition seperate from C or the Windows partition.

I always have three partitions - one for the op system, one for all other non-connected programs, and the third for all data storage (from all aps).

Even better is a second hard drive for everything but Windows.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

For the more advanced user (one who's experimenting with their system) I always recommend 2 drives (at a minimum). Keep your "perishable" stuff on the second drive - so that when the first one crashes - you just install an old image and it already points to the current data! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users