Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes unless running in SAFE mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maineiac48

maineiac48

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:03 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop running Win 7 (64bit). Lately the computer freezes up in less than five minutes if running in normal mode, leaving only hard-boot option. When restarting, I go to "Safe with Networking" mode, and everything seems to run fine, even internet. I have repeatedly run scans from: Malwarebytes; SuperAntiSpyware; SpyBot; Windows Defender; CCleaner; Periform FixCleaner; TDSSKiller, and probably another half dozen. I have reset the Hosts file, and recovered to a reset point established back in December, before the current problems began. Nothing has solved the problem (any threats found in the various scans were removed, but that had no effect on the current problem). I suspect, from the scan results, that the problem is not malware. I think there may be a corrupt or damaged file or process somewhere in the system. The OS is factory installed, and the laptop did not come with a Windows disk. What's the best way to clean this up? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

1) What types of "threats" were removed?

2) Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 maineiac48

maineiac48
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

1) What types of "threats" were removed?

Mostly Adware Tracking cookies. There were a few items that were identified as "Trojan Agent".

Thanks for the help. I will begin the process of elimination suggested, and follow up with results.

#4 mikmak007

mikmak007

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

To reduce some of the isolation test, UNcheck half the boxes. Reboot. You can repeat this process by removing half of the booting files at a time. You can see if the problem is in "which half". So, if you have, say, 40, halving them each time would be 20 then 10 then 5, etc. Saves some time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users