Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop errors 24 & 7b

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hottrod33

Hottrod33

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Attempting to help with my fathers's computer.

Out of the blue, computer quit booting up due to blue scrren Stop error 24. Can not boot in safe mode.

I ran diagnostics out of F12 and it indicated that the hard drive received a PASS. I then attempted to boot off of the DELL Re installation CD, it appeared to be loading, however, it then received a different stop error, 7b.

Searching the web, stop 7b indicated the following:

The "Stop 7B" error occurs when your configuration is missing a component that is required to boot your device. Examples of these components include the PCI bus and the IDE controller.

Anyone know what to do next or how to troubleshoot / determine exactly what is the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

What kind of hard drive is it?

#3 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Western Digital - Internal

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Please download and run the Data Life Guard tools from http://www.wdc.com and run the short and extended tests on the hard drive.

#5 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Not possible, computer will not boot.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

It doesn't have to boot via windows it is a tool that is downloaded and burned onto a CD.

#7 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Ok, I will try. However, based on the fact that I got a stop error when trying to run the the System CD, I do not know if the WD tools will run on CD.

#8 Hottrod33

Hottrod33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

Ok, first of all, based on someone else's recommendation I had my father run a RAM memory test ISO disk. The RAM was test and reported no errors.

I then burned the Western Digital Data life guard tool to CD. My father attempted to run the WD tools however, he said that it ran for awhile but it never could find the C drive to scan.

So, what does that mean if the BIOS could detect the hard drive and give it a pass, but it could not be detected from the CD drive?

Also, i was wondering for troubleshooting, could I just swap the hard drives in two computers and to see if it is a hardware issue or a hard drive/software issue?

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Here are details on your two Stop errors together with instructions on how to solve the problem:
Bug Check 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Bug Check 0x7B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

The latter of the two will probably be of more importance since the system cannot boot in this particular state.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

the Hard drive tools should detect the drive if the BIOS does. Can you take a picture of it?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Well...if you have a STOP 24 error, it's possible that you have either file system or hard drive problems.

If it's a file system or the actual file (ntfs.sys), then running the chkdsk /r command may ameliorate or clarify the extent of the problem.

If it's a hard drive problem, running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic should confirm/refute that possibility.

<<So, what does that mean if the BIOS could detect the hard drive and give it a pass, but it could not be detected from the CD drive?>>

First...BIOS detection of the drive doesn't mean much other than it detects enough life in the drive to assure that it is properly connected.

If the Western diagnostic did not detect the drive and run the appropriate tests...then I'd say that's conclusive evidence that the hard drive is failing/has failed. That can be tested by...merely connecting the drive as a secondary to a different working system...and determining if the drive contents can be seen/accessed/moved.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users