Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! My computer has been wiped!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zakarie

Zakarie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

So yesterday some indian man called from callifornia claiming he was from "Windows" and said he was receiving warning messages from my laptop. He connected to my computer via some sort of remote client where he could control my laptop, he deleted some files from my computer but all I can remember was that they were 'system files'. I was talking for nearly an hour on the phone to him before he tried to convince me to renew my membership with "Windows" then I knew it was a scam. So I threatened to call microsoft and he got really frustrated and suspicious saying they cant help. Then I hung up the pone and told him not to call again.

The next day I switch on my computer a notification popped up saying i need to validate my windows 7 starter pack saying my version wasnt genuine. My Norten security wasnt working either, So i decided to restore my computer, which is where i ran in to many problems, after i had restored my computer with the cd that came with it i lost everything. Nothing was working. My screen display doesnt even go to maximum resolution anymore, my wireless doesnt appear at ALL!! No built in devices are working whatsoever I dont know what to do. I dont care if all my data is gone i just want me laptop restored as if it was brand new and in fully working oredr. I am new to this website so any help will be much appreciated!

Regards, Zak.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tom982

tom982

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hello Zak,

I know this link is from Australia, but this is a worldwide occurrence, so it applies elsewhere:

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/presspass/post/Microsoft-issues-warning-on-phone-scam

As you can see, you're not the only one receiving these calls. Fortunately, you realised it was a scam before any financial transactions were made :)

Firstly, I would recommend that you change ALL of your passwords! With remote access to your computer, he has access to any passwords stored in your computer. It's better to be safe than to be sorry, so I would change all of them.

Regarding this CD you got with your PC, what is it? Do you know if it's a retail disc? Or is it a recovery disc? It should say on the face of it.

I think the best way to go about fixing this mess is a clean install, I don't know what he's deleted, or what he's potentially planted on your PC, but a clean install will fix all of these issues.

Tom
I am currently taking a degree in Malware Removal, and during this time, it is not appropriate for me to offer any assistance in Malware Removal. Thank you for your co-operation.

#3 Zakarie

Zakarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Hey Tom Thanks for your reply,

Thanks for the reply. So the disc that came with my laptop is a 'system recovery solution' cd, i've used it twice already to restore my computer but it hasnt solved anything, when i checked my devices there was a number of them uninstalled or not working so when i tried to update them it said nothing was found. My hard disk still has everything on it from my old file but i dont know how to perform a clean install.

Do you know if he can still remotely access my computer?? My wifi is not working either, it says there is no device installed or something along those lines.

Zak. :thumbsup:

#4 fetlock

fetlock

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hello Zak,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. My other half got hit with the same scam here in the UK. Fortunately she hung up before they could download the remote access software onto her Laptop.

I can't recall the name of the remote software, but if you can get to your Control Panel/Programs take a look at the software installed on the date the scam took place and remove it.

Do you have a CD/DVD with all your computer utilities on it? If so, you should be able to re-install your missing drivers.

If your Operating System will not load at all (either notmally of via F8 menu options - last known good configuration, safe mode, etc), then it is time for system recovery or clean install. If your system recovery Cd isn't working, it probably worth investing in a full version of Windows 7 so at least you have a working DVD to use in the future. Take a look at this youtube video which shows you how to do a clean install (Mods - I hope video's are allowed. If not, apologies):

Good luck.

Steve

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 May 2012 - 08:48 AM.
Removed unnecessary link. ~ OB

#5 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hi!

It sounds like your problem is that when you reinstalled Windows on your system the drivers weren't included. Look through the CDs that came with your laptop, and see if there's one that says drivers written on it. Otherwise if you have access to another working computer you should be able to download them from the internet. What is the brand and model of your laptop?

#6 Zakarie

Zakarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hey Guys Thanks for all your replies. I've just performed the install with the recovery cd that came with my laptop. My whole laptop has just down graded to simpler version of windows 7. All of my drivers are still gone, my graphics card has been changed to a vga one, my NVIDIA one isn't even there, my wi-fi doesn't work so i can't download them from the internet. I have a folder in my hard drive named 'Windows Old' with all of my previous data and some folders named 'drivers'. I tried selecting these as the driver updates but nothing has worked. Is there any way that I can restore my previous windows folder?? I've tried a system restore but it says no previous saves have been found.

Can anyone help me to restore my computers drivers at least?

#7 tom982

tom982

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi Zak :)

Hey Tom Thanks for your reply,

Thanks for the reply. So the disc that came with my laptop is a 'system recovery solution' cd, i've used it twice already to restore my computer but it hasnt solved anything, when i checked my devices there was a number of them uninstalled or not working so when i tried to update them it said nothing was found. My hard disk still has everything on it from my old file but i dont know how to perform a clean install.

Do you know if he can still remotely access my computer?? My wifi is not working either, it says there is no device installed or something along those lines.

Zak. :thumbsup:

Do you have a genuine product key for Windows? This may be written on a COA sticker on your PC. It may be obvious, but just in case, do not post it here, I just need to know if you have one.

I don't know if he can still remotely access your computer, sorry, there's no way for me to tell. Possibly. If you've reinstalled Windows, then almost definitely not.

Hey Guys Thanks for all your replies. I've just performed the install with the recovery cd that came with my laptop. My whole laptop has just down graded to simpler version of windows 7. All of my drivers are still gone, my graphics card has been changed to a vga one, my NVIDIA one isn't even there, my wi-fi doesn't work so i can't download them from the internet. I have a folder in my hard drive named 'Windows Old' with all of my previous data and some folders named 'drivers'. I tried selecting these as the driver updates but nothing has worked. Is there any way that I can restore my previous windows folder?? I've tried a system restore but it says no previous saves have been found.

Can anyone help me to restore my computers drivers at least?

Yes, it will do this. This is all Windows has on the disc, it doesn't include your graphics card driver or anything like that. You're currently not using your graphics card, you'll be using onboard graphics, which is why it doesn't look particularly nice. Have you got an ethernet cable? If so, use it to connect to your router and download the drivers that you need.

NVIDIA drivers: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/indexsg.aspx?lang=en-uk

It is possible to restore to that Windows.old folder, but it's not a particularly easy thing to do, plus it will just revert your computer to how it was before. But if it comes to it, it is possible.

Tom
I am currently taking a degree in Malware Removal, and during this time, it is not appropriate for me to offer any assistance in Malware Removal. Thank you for your co-operation.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Sorry to hear you got scammed!
It sounds as if the caller was a vicious type that made sure that if you didn't pay you would be unable to use the laptop.

he deleted some files from my computer but all I can remember was that they were 'system files'. I was talking for nearly an hour on the phone to him before he tried to convince me to renew my membership with "Windows

It sounds exactly like what you are calling a recovery disc is really only a Windows Install disk.

You will need to use a second computer to go to the computer makers website and download all the drivers to a flash drive.
Make sure to get the drivers for your exact brand and model.
Typical you will need
Chipset
Ethernet
Wireless
sound
Video
Touchpad if a laptop

if it is a Dell, Sony or Toshiba they usually have extra software to make it run more reliable.

Good Luck
Roger

What make and model is it?

Edited by rotor123, 14 March 2012 - 02:47 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users