Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 carlito777

carlito777

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Is system restore the same as backing up your registry? What's the difference? Is it better to do one or the other or both? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tom982

tom982

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hello carlito777 and welcome to BC!

Rather than me trying to explain it, I'll just quote the page on the Microsoft site:

System Restore can make changes to Windows system files, registry settings, and programs installed on your computer. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Personal files, such as documents, e‑mail, photos, and music files, are not changed.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-types-of-files-does-System-Restore-change

When creating a system restore point, a full registry backup is made, as well as backing up installed programs etc. (the items listed above)

Backing up your registry (such as with ERUNT) will only backup your registry, nothing else.

I would recommend you make a full backup of your registry before making any changes to it, even if you're experienced with it, things can still go wrong, potentially rendering your machine useless. But apart from that, a system restore point would be a better thing to do. It covers more files/locations so can correct a wider range of errors :) Restore points are made automatically when installing certain updates and software, but if you're doing something risky (resource editing etc.), then it would be a good idea to make one manually.

Tom
I am currently taking a degree in Malware Removal, and during this time, it is not appropriate for me to offer any assistance in Malware Removal. Thank you for your co-operation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users