Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary Hard Drive for Mostly Storage.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xterminator

Xterminator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:46 AM

Okay so I'm thinking of getting a secondary hard drive for more storage. The one I have right now is 7200 RPM WD Caviar Black. For my secondary HD should I just get a WD Caviar Green 5400 RPM?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Green 5400rpm will save on power ,but will slow down transfer speed to the storage drive ,i myself don't see the point in trying to save power on one computer harddrive ,you or the rest of the Universe will not notice the power savings .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Xterminator

Xterminator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Green 5400rpm will save on power ,but will slow down transfer speed to the storage drive ,i myself don't see the point in trying to save power on one computer harddrive ,you or the rest of the Universe will not notice the power savings .

Yea i'm not really trying to save power but looking more at price. This secondary hard drive is mostly going to be for saving games on and running games. Thats all. Should it be good?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

My Personal opinion is against Green drives.

Seagate is discontinuing their line of green drives. They say the minimal energy saving isn't worth the performance hit.

You didn't mention what Interface or Windows you are running.

XP for example and very large drives do not get along good.

For running games no go on Green.

Unless the games you play never go back to the drive to load anything beyond the initial load of the game get a fast drive.

Edited by rotor123, 11 March 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yea i'm not really trying to save power but looking more at price. This secondary hard drive is mostly going to be for saving games on and running games. Thats all. Should it be good?

i agree with rotor123 on this one ,
as i mentioned in my first post ,5400rpm will slow down data transfer, saving & playing games from the drive = data transfer, so no go for a 7200rpm drive ,a little more money will be money well spent

Edited by caperjac, 11 March 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#6 Xterminator

Xterminator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

i agree with rotor123 on this one ,
as i mentioned in my first post ,5400rpm will slow down data transfer, saving & playing games from the drive = data transfer, so no go for a 7200rpm drive ,a little more money will be money well spent

How slow? Will it be noticeable? Also condsidering I have a WD I should get a WD or I'm fine getting a Seagate?

Edited by Xterminator, 11 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

its ok to mix hdd brands ,and it should be noticeable ,all i read says very noticeable ,and that from games like you,im not i gamer ,so im not sure how much speed difference will actually be ,

,i own two computer and one has a 7200rpm,has a faster cpy that the next one but ,, and one has a 15000 rpm ,and just for normal use i don't notice and big difference

Edited by caperjac, 12 March 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

However to get a little more technical.

If you move lots of small files at one time for example images or the drive is badly fragmented then.........

Latency can slow down file transfers.

On a spinning platter type drive which would include 5400RPM, 7200RPM, 10,000RPM or 15,00 RPM drives the amount of latency makes a difference. Latency on those would be the time required for the drive to go from reading one part of the drive to a different part (track)as well as the time required for the data to spin to where it can read by the drive.

The faster the rotation the lower that time will be. Plus a faster turning drive could have better electronics and / or more cache.

SSDs have a very low latency as they have no moving parts.

There is a reason Servers have used 10K and 15K drives and some are now switching to SSDs.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users