Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RealPlayer Basic. Remove/Uninstall without problems?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:58 AM

Computer has had RealPlayer Basic for the whole life, I believe. No mention of installation date nor of size in the listing in Add/Remove of Control Panel. Would removal or uninstall cause any trouble? Usually when an audio or video file is played using this machine, either Windows Media Player opens and plays the file, or Adobe Flash Player plays the file (if from a webpage). At least 2 or 3 years have passed since RealPlayer played anything on this computer, so I imagine I do not really need it for anything and hope I can uninstall RealPlayer Basci without causing any unexpected problems to the computer system or other usability. (Is it by any chance, a required part of Windows, in the way that Internet Explorer is, or is it simply an extra program which most people do not need?)

Nine-Year Old laptop. Windows XP sp3
2.0 GHz, 17 GB Freespace, 512 MB RAM

Edited by cafejose, 11 March 2012 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

Real Player is not part of Windows so you had to download it. The only thing it does differently is it will download any embedded video clip with one click. If you don't download videos, you don't need it. Myself and a lot of BC members use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall anything as it will remove it completely.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

If you have never used Revo Uninstaller (which I highly recommend using)

Here is how to use Revo Uninstaller:

1) First we download it from here: Revo Uninstaller Free Version. You can skip this Step if you already have it installed. However, you may need to update it. If you have it installed already, and you need to update it, go ahead and open it up and click the AutoUpdate Icon next to Help. The use of this program makes registry changes based upon what you select for removal from the Registry. Before running Revo Uninstaller please run ERUNT before proceeding to back up your registry in case you make a mistake.

2) Select the Program to remove from the list of programs and click the Uninstall button:

Posted Image

3) After selecting the program you want to remove, and confirming you want to uninstall the program, then you will want to select the Advanced Option:

Posted Image

4) Click Next. This will start the uninstaller for the application you picked. When the uninstaller is done, and it proves to be successful, and a reboot is required, then select NO and continue the below steps.

5) Follow the prompts during the uninstallation of the application. Once it closes you will be at this window:

Posted Image

6) Click Next again. Once the window is done scanning for files and other things that did not get removed, you will be presented with this window:

Posted Image

You will want to select only the bolded items, then click on Delete. If any entries-usually the last thing listed and not in bold-have a + sign click on the + until you see more bolded items. Once done, click Next.

If it asks you to delete other files, then do so, but pay attention to the warnings.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

FWIW: http://service2.real.com/realplayer/support.html?section=uninstallRP

Louis

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, people. Revo Uninstaller seems scary to use. The control panel method in Windows seems so simple to do. Does Windows control panel add/remove not do the job correctly? Does it merely not do the job thoroughly but for a specific reason?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Windows Add/Remove Programs will always leave program traces upon uninstallation. Why? Because Microsoft is lame and is notorious for leaving holes that can be easily filled by third party applications. That's why Revo is successful. It does what Microsoft should do but doesn't.

Edited by frankp316, 12 March 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

FWIW: Not to defend MS, just hate to see what I think is "wrong thinking"...but I think that program install/uninstall routines are prepared by and the responsibility of...the program developer, not MS.

If the routine is faulty, users wind up with debris left...which then may necessitate the use of 3d-party tools which (I assume) somehow does a search-and-find, which is in contrast to how I think Windows native uninstaller tool works (relies on program developer routine).

I could be wrong :), but I have noted that some programs make the uninstall routine apparent as an option under Program Files and it seems to me that if Windows/MS were responsible for such...that routine would appear for every program listed under Program Files, not just some.

Combine that with the fact that certain programs have uninstaller tools which had to be developed by them for their apps...and which are not part of the app itself...well, it seems pretty clear to me where the responsibility for uninstall routines lies.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2012 - 05:58 AM.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:03 AM

Look, he wants to know why he should use Revo instead of Add/Remove Programs. The correct reason is the latter doesn't work as it should. Most users don't care who is responsible. You are correct but this has been a Windows issue for many years so one would think that Microsoft would have got together with software developers to make improvements to Add/Remove Programs to make life easier for users. But as we all know, Microsoft can be a very lame company and common sense doesn't apply. God forbid Microsoft would admit the shortcomings of any of their products. Instead they let third party software developers make a killing from Microsoft deficiencies.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Still while deciding what I want to do or when, an internet search rendered this page and link:

Article - http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-me/real-player/43042.html

Article on using removal tool - http://service.real.com/realone/faq/r1p_010828_TAL_rap01408v.html

Since this looks like from a Real.com, RealNetworks page, does anyone know more about this removal tool, how useful, how good, how reliable or safe? I would think that a tool from the company specifically for removing their product should be good (since it reminds me of how the protection & security software companies supply removal tools for their products - like, Norton Removal Tool is popularly used and known for helping get rid of Norton/Symantec software completely). Anybody?

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

I would use Revo for this or any other program because I know it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users