Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with running as administrator, installing programs, system restore, etc.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

A few weeks ago several issues with my computer started.

My issues first began with Microsoft Office Word Starter. I couldn't run it -- I would get an error message about there being no associated file. I fixed this with system restore, and my computer was good for a while. Perhaps a week later, I noticed I was unable to install any programs. I would get a notification saying something about shell.dll and that there was no file associated with whatever it was that I would try to install (VLC player, Adobe Reader, the list goes on... but for some reason WinRAR worked).

I tried to remedy this by doing a system restore. When my computer started up again, a notification popped up saying that system restore failed (or that it was unable to make changes). Today, I noticed I am unable to run anything as administrator, FireFox has been acting up, and my computer has been freezing quite frequently.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with my poor laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

My first impulse would be to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

Forget the notifications...any onscreen error messages...system reboots out of the blue...inability to access Windows Update?

Louis

#3 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

How exactly do I run a hard drive diagnostic?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

The basic procedure...download the appropriate diagnostic, after checking to see who the manufacturer of your hard drive is...the4n follow the directions at the website for using said diagnostic.

Typically...you download an .iso file, then burn it to CD using .iso-burning software. That results in a bootable CD containing the diagnostic.

Insert CD...change the boot order on system so that the optical drive is first option...save the changed settings in the BIOS.

System reboots, diagnostic begins.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial114.html

Louis

#5 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

My computer passed all hard drive diagnostic tests.

Is there anything else I can do?

Edited by Samuri Scearious, 12 March 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Now that the hard drive has been removed from suspicion...I would go to the basic situations where freezing is a symptom.

Malware...and other hardware components.

Can you Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 ?

There is also the possibility that your file system has problems...can you run the chkdsk /r command? If chkdsk cannot complete or pops up a screen indicating that there are problems preventing it from doing its job...that's useful. If chkdsk /r runs to completion successfully without problems, that's useful also in eliminating the file system suspicions.

Louis

#7 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

I was not able run CHKDSK. "Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

Lastly, here is the snapshot:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c1OnOk686yfWElC08gYmdao

I greatly appreciate the help. Thank you.

Edited by Samuri Scearious, 13 March 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

OK, thanks. There are a few things we can try.

Reset Win 7 Permissions To Default

If that works...then to open a command prompt:

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Click on All Programs and Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.

OR

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the Start Menu search box area, type cmd and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

OR

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. In the Start Menu search box area type cmd, then right click on cmd.exe (at top), and click on Run as administrator. (see screenshot below)

If either of those work...then run the chkdsk /r command.

Running chkdsk /r: Open a Command Prompt window (as described above). In that window, type chkdsk /r
and press Enter. You'll be asked if you want to run chkdsk the next time the system restarts. Type in Y, press Enter, close the window, then reboot your PC.

Chkdsk will start and run, probably for a while. The /r switch not only fixes errors like the /f, but also will locate and mark bad sectors and try to recover readable information from those sectors.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#9 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

The CTRL + SHIFT + ALT opened the command promt, but I wasn't able to do CHKDSK for the same reason I couldn't before.

Trying to reset permissions didn't work either.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

Let's see what others here think is going on.

Louis

#11 Samuri Scearious

Samuri Scearious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Will rebooting the computer to a factory state help?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

I cannot answer that since I've not determined exactly what the problem might be.

If the O/S or programs installed is "the problem"...clean install or restoration/recovery ought to take care of that.

If there are hardware issues, your idea might be effective, might not. Depneds on what malware items might be involved, if any.

Since you've already checked out the hard drive with the appropriate diagnostic...a clean install or restoration to factory defaults...my chosen path would be to clean install/restore, for the sake of expediency, since I always have backups of pertinent data.

If same problems persist after such, that would point to hardware, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users