Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Card Problem.. Please Help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ghady

ghady

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

Hey,
A little while ago the built-in network card on my laptop just stopped working. But the thing is that the computer still says that the device itself is working properly, and it really has no reason not to. I just turned the computer on one day and when I plugged in the internet cable, it wouldn't connect. I also spoke to the guy who manages my network and he said it wasn't them. I tried to uninstall then reinstall it, but that didn't help. Is there anything i've overlooked? Would formatting help (because i had a similar problem with my wireless connection, and formatting solved the problem)? Please someone help me fix this (if that's even possible). (if it's any help, the card is called "Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection").
"Did you know that before Kevin was a novelist, he worked at a recycling center?" - J. Maroney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:53 AM

A few questions.

1. What connect do you have? DSL, Cable, ISDN, VPN,...?
2. Do you use a router or are you direct to your modem?
3. What operating system are you using?
4. What make, model notebook do you use?

Possible solutions.

If you are using a modem/router, unplug both and any battery backup. Leave unplugged for a few minutes. Plug the modem in and wait for it to come back online. Next plug the router back in. Finally plug in and turn on the computer(s) one at a time.

Second try, Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /release.
When the prompt comes back up type in ipconfig /renew.

If you receive an error message please write it down, or Print Screen the error message and post it. Thank you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 03:51 PM

ok..
1) i'm assuming i have cable..
2) no, no router (i'm assuming that the fact that all i do is plug the cable directly into my computer and start working means that there's no router)
3) windows XP (pro)
4) Dell Latitude D505

I did the second thing you told me to do, and all i got was this message (both with the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew): "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected. No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network while it has its media disconnected."
"Did you know that before Kevin was a novelist, he worked at a recycling center?" - J. Maroney

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

Go into your Device Manager and list every item in the Network Adapters catagory. It would appear you have a form of wireless networking, from the error message your computer displayed. Is there an ? or ! next to your network adapter? The error message indicates windows see your network adapter but that it cannot see you modem.
Did you unplug your modem and computer and let it sit for a while? The is important because it resets the modem an allows it to renew its information with the ISP's servers.
If you have more than one adapter list in the Device Manager and can determine which adapter is the one your cable is plugged into, disable the others.

#5 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

The following are listed under Network Adapters:

1) 1394 Net Adapter
2) Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
3) Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection (ie the cable connection)
4) the wireless connection

How do i unplug it? Do i just select disable? Cuz i did that and nothing happened when i enabled it.

You said "Did you unplug your modem and computer and let it sit for a while?"--> no i didn't.. could you tell me how to do that?
thanks..

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

The following are listed under Network Adapters:

1) 1394 Net Adapter
2) Bluetooth LAN Access Server Driver
3) Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection (ie the cable connection)
4) the wireless connection

How do i unplug it? Do i just select disable? Cuz i did that and nothing happened when i enabled it.

You said "Did you unplug your modem and computer and let it sit for a while?"--> no i didn't.. could you tell me how to do that?
thanks..

All you have to do it unplug it from the wall, and turn your computer off. There is a reset button on the back of your modem/router . Depress it for one minute. Next plug you modem/router back in and wait one minute so it can boot. Then turn your computers back on. This should assign new IP addresses to the computers.

Edited by acklan, 19 February 2006 - 11:20 PM.

#7 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

but the thing is my network card is built-in (i think i said that in my first post), and there is no reset button :s

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

All you have to do it unplug it from the wall, and turn your computer off. There is a reset button on the back of your modem/router . Depress it for one minute. Next plug you modem/router back in and wait one minute so it can boot. Then turn your computers back on. This should assign new IP addresses to the computers.

Feels wierd quoting myself. I was refurring to your Router and/or modem.

#9 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:35 PM

haha.. ok.. communication problem.. my bad..
there is no modem inside my apartment. there's a cable that extends from a machine on the roof. is THAT what i should unplug? the machine that's on the roof? if so, then i've unplugged it before (but without unpluggin my pc), and that hasn't helped.
thx (and sorry for the misunderstanding)

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

You must shut down everything to reset the cable modem and the nic card.

Disconnect the power to whatever is the supply for the cable.

(are you on a lan? If you are, there's a router somewhere and possibly a hub.)

Shut down your computer.

After a few minutes restore power to the cable modem and then reboot your computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 February 2006 - 03:04 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

there is no modem inside my apartment. there's a cable that extends from a machine on the roof. is THAT what i should unplug? the machine that's on the roof? if so, then i've unplugged it before (but without unpluggin my pc), and that hasn't helped.

I am so confused. This is new to me. You are telling me that you do not have a cable modem inside your apartment? You internet access is being feed from a device on the roof of your apartment? Does your apartment complex provide internet access as part of your rent, like the hotels now do? When you describe it as cable, is it a CATV line or a POTS/Cat5 wire.

#12 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

I am so confused. This is new to me. You are telling me that you do not have a cable modem inside your apartment? You internet access is being feed from a device on the roof of your apartment? Does your apartment complex provide internet access as part of your rent, like the hotels now do? When you describe it as cable, is it a CATV line or a POTS/Cat5 wire.

yea i know.. it's weird.. no it's not part of the rent thing (but it's kinda like it).. it's just that there's this internet provider next to where i live, and he has this hub set up on the roof of our building.. and every time an apartment wants internet, he extends a cable wire from the roof to the apartment.. as for the CATV line or whatever, i have no idea.. all i know is that my neighbors and i call it "cable"..

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Does the cable look like what screws into the TV/VCR or is it more like a larger version of a telephone wire with similar connections?

#14 ghady

ghady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

Does the cable look like what screws into the TV/VCR or is it more like a larger version of a telephone wire with similar connections?

the second one.. it looks like a larger version of a telephone wire..

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:46 AM

It's a cat5 wire then.

This may be a problem your isp (cable provider) may have to fix.
If you reboot your computer and it won't renew the lease, it has to be reset by the cable supplier.

Set it to use the Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection if that's where the line plugs into the computer, and call the ISP.

They should be able to remotely reset the hub/modem/whatever it is that's supplying your line in and walk you through whatever setup you need to do while on the phone with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users