Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 meanswing

meanswing

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:40 AM

Can some help me on change my IP from Dynamic IP to Static IP. I did the netsh script for it but its for Windows 2000 and i have Windows XP. I dont know if it worked or not. Also is there a script in the command promt that will tell me the Mask, Gateway, and IP of my computer. Also can i use the command promt to check if i have Static IP or Dynamic IP. !!!Please Help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:44 PM

In order to change from a dynamic to a static, enter your control panel, and double click on network connections. Then right click on your network card, and select proprties. Now double click on tcp/ip and change it from obtain ip address automatically to use the following address. Enter an address you want to use and now you are static.

The program at the command prompt is ipconfig.

Type ipconfig /all

#3 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:05 PM

Can i add my old ip. Can you give me examples of static IPs. Is there a site or program that will give me available Static IPs?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:23 PM

Tell me what you are trying to accomplish? Static ip means one that you assign rather than assigned to you.

#5 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

I have a Counter-Strike: Condition Zero server. I want to have the same IP all the time so my friends dont have to keep looking for my server.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

Unless you are assigned a specific ip address from your ISP you will not be able to use a static ip address. Your isp has to assign that and they usually dont these days. Instead you should use a dynamic dns client like dyndns.

#7 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:28 PM

OK i set my static IP but how do i set the DNS server. Should i keep it on OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY or put it on USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES. If i need to pick USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES what do i put there.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:47 PM

You would need to get the dns servers from your isp. Leave them for obtaining one automatically for noe

#9 meanswing

meanswing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:12 AM

OK sorry i forgot to check if USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES gave the option to pick OBTAIN DNS SERVER ADDRESS AUTOMATICALLY or USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES. When i choose use the following addres it only gives me the option to USE the following dns server addresses. How do i find my DNS servers from my IP? Is there a formula or something?

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,591 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2004 - 08:13 AM

No there is not. The dns servers can be totally different for your isp than what your ip address is. Just give their support a call or check their website's support pages and it should be listed somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users