Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes shortly upon startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sanshouo

sanshouo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

Hi, I have a pretty big problem with my PC.

Shortly after starting up and logging in, one or more programs freezes (usually Firefox or Skype), but eventually even the taskbar will freeze up. When I tried to launch Task Manager, it doesn't run, and when I try to shut down it doesn't work either. The only thing I can do is a hard reset via the power button, and then enter safe mode. I scanned my computer with Avast!, Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes. All of them came up negative I then posted my problem to Reddit, and some users suggested me to run ComboFix (I did not know it was such a powerful program, and they seemed reasonably experienced). I ran it, and it actually fixed my problem for a while. But now I'm back where I started. What's wrong with my computer?
I'm running a 64bit version of Windows 7, on a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 15(0301-J9U)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Are you running BOTH Avast and MSE? If so, please uninstall one or the other. And the fact that you ran combofix puts your post in a different category. I'm going to ask a mod to handle it. Sit tight.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

<<...and some users suggested me to run ComboFix (I did not know it was such a powerful program, and they seemed reasonably experienced). I ran it, and it actually fixed my problem for a while. But now I'm back where I started>>

Since it seems to me that you are convinced that you have a malware problem...I suggest that you do the following.

Follow the steps in this guide and post a topic, including the requested logs as well as the combofix log in the forum linked to in the Preparation Guide (my link).

Once you have done that, I will close this topic and all your energies should be directed to your new malware log topic.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2012 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users