Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE HELP - cd drive not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lavendersage

lavendersage

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

I'm guessing it's more of a software problem than a hardware one, so I put this in SOFTWARE PROBLEMS instead. And I'm also pretty sure I did it too. I have a Dell D630 Latitude laptop, Win XP Pro, and I need help figuring out what my burner is so I can provide that.

I downloaded a couple of programs to burn DVDs (movies) last week. They worked – was able to burn and view the movies successfully. I also burned some CD-R’s with music. I can’t remember what program I used to do this: if I downloaded it or used something already on the computer but it worked whatever it was.

Today I tried to burn another music CD to the exact same type CD-R discs I used last week. Since I couldn’t remember what the software was that worked last week I chose Roxio Easy Creator blank (v 8.0) which was already on the computer to do the burn. It went through the steps successfully until it came to the actual burning process. At that point it just seemed to get completely stuck. I could hear the disc in the drive whirring away (actually it sounded more like it was being put through a shredder.) Finally, I cancelled the burn ....or at least tried to...I chose cancel and it said it was...but then it just got stuck again...I tried Ctrl/Alt/Del – nothing worked. I finally force shutdown the computer and re-booted it. Please don't crucify me for this.

Since then the drive won’t read or write CD’s. It DID play a pre-recorded DVD movie so that part is working.

I deleted the upper and lower filters in the registry(<?).
I uninstalled the burning software programs that I downloaded last week plus itunes, Rhapsody and Viewpoint Media Player (figured I’d go for broke).
I also ran the built-in System File Checker to repair corrupted or missing protected System files.

Still won’t read/write cds.

Any suggestions on how to correct it to make the burner function once again??

I am almost bald from this and it’s not a good look on me.

Thanks SO MUCH ahead of time.

Edit: Moved topic from Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of staff. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lavendersage

lavendersage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I forgot to mention that I also ran "Fixit" on Microsoft Support to no avail. All it told me was: Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media - which - DUH - I already knew!

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Have you tried going into the Device Manager, locating your drive, right-clicking, and selecting Uninstall?
Re-boot, and Windows should detect and re-install the drive.

You might want to uninstall Roxio.
In my opinion, one of the worst pieces of software ever developed.

Give ImgBurn a try, for your burning needs.
It's free, and I've never had any problems with it.

Here's a list of tutorials:
http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 lavendersage

lavendersage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

HI-

Thanks for replying.

I did do the uninstall, reboot thing - forgot to mention that. Still didn't make a difference.

I'll try uninstalling Roxio, too.

This morning I went in to: My Computer > Under Devices with Removable Storage > right-clicked the CD-R drive or CD-RW drive > Properties > Recording tab.

The Recording tab was displayed but the choice to have the drive be able to record was not checked off. I checked it off, hit apply, ok but haven't rebooted to see if that makes any difference.

Windows support page says that the fact the Recording tab is displayed in and of itself indicats that Windows recognizes the drive as a recordable device.

Beyond frustrating.

I'll update once I uninstall Roxio, re-boot and see if it works again.

#5 lavendersage

lavendersage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Still not working after uninstalling Roxio and rebooting.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Try clearing your filters again, and another uninstall/reboot, now that Roxio is gone.
If there's still no change, I'm going to move this to the Internal Hardware forum.
If there's no improvement, and I'm not online after you try this, PM a Moderator that is logged in and have them move it.

Do you happen to have a spare drive you can change out with this one, just to see if the problem still exists?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 lavendersage

lavendersage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

HI-

Only change was that after taking quite a while Windows Media Player eventually opened automatically which it didn't do before. Unfortunately, it still would not read a pre-recorded disc nor write to a blank disc.

I don't have an extra drive to switch out. :(

#8 lavendersage

lavendersage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

YOO-HOO.

Anybody there that might be able to suggest other approaches (besides buying a new drive).

Thanks!

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Try removing the drive from the laptop and re-installing it (physically) you can view the repair manual Here Just remove the locking screw and slide the drive out. Make sure there is no dust build up on the drive connector and reinsert the drive. Make sure the drive is firmly seated in the bay and against the the drive connector. There is a possibility the drive may have become loosened from the drive connector, I have seen this before and removing and reinstalling the drive solves the problem. Hopefully this works for you.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

While you have the drive out doing what Sneakycyber suggested, try installing a known good drive. If the known good one works, then you know that the old one is dead. If the known good one doesn't work, then you know that you've got it narrowed down to it not being the drive (motherboard and/or connecters as Sneakycyber suggested).
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users