Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.mpg Files Shorter Than They Should Be

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 romulus267

romulus267

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

Hi all
I'm having a problem playing a .mpg file. It's 168MB but only 1 minute and 23 seconds will play. However, if I skip ahead or behind in the file, I can see different parts that are outside of that 1 minute 23 seconds. This happens with players: quicktime, WMP, realplayer, winamp, and some free ones I tired. So I think it's a codec problem but i'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated

oh BTW,
3.0GHz pentium 4, 1gb ram, plenty of disk space
soundblaster audigy 2 ZS, ATI radeon X850 Pro
Windows XP SP2

- romulus267

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

If it's just one file, then i would think that it is corrupt. If you downloaded the file from the internet it is a common problem. Is it just that file or does it happen for mutliple files>
David

#3 romulus267

romulus267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

It is just that file but I've downloaded it multiple times from different places... I suppose it's possible they are all corrupt. From what I can tell it's an mpg1 file, as far as I can tell that's the only file i've got that of that type. I should maybe try to find another file of that type and see if it plays.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:01 PM

If it were a codex problem, you would think that nothing would even play on ANY possible player. Since it is a rather large file, the possibilities of file corruption are greater.
I think you are on the right track, looking for another MGP 1 file.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 romulus267

romulus267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:25 PM

Well thanks for all your help, looks like it was corrupted. Odd that no one seems to have a non-corrupted version. Anyhow time to let this one go...

#6 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Glad we could help romulus267.
Come back anytime.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users