Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandbox on Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I was looking at my files via Tuneup Utilities and saw a file called Sandbox which is 2GBs and has a listing of a ton of KB packages and a folder called Microsoft-Windows-TerminalService, I'm trying to ascertain whether this is a virtual program or what. according to the properties it was created 5/6/2011 and I have no Idea where it came from. It's supposed to be a host protection Component and it checks out on system look-up but I don't remember downloading it or what it's used for.

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2012 - 08:57 PM.
Moved from Vista to All Other Applications.

Either We Learn to Live Together as People, Or Die Apart as Fools !

Ignorance ISN'T Bliss, It's Just "IGNORANCE"!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thank You Hamluis for placing this query in the proper forum, do you have any idea on what this is and how it came to be?

Respectfully Submitted,
STC1

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I'm not aware of it being a Vista component. It sounds like it was part of some AV or Malware product.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hmmmmm thanks Animal, everything I'm getting on google is sandbox(ie), with the ie highlighted saying it's a virtual program like the ones that BC members use. I know I didn't download that because I'm just starting to read up on VM applications since joining BC. The only other reference I found, was in Wikipedia which isn't a to reliable source since it's able to be edited by just about anyone.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

You're welcome. I wish I could be more help and have an answer. I'll keep digging and see if I can find something. What if any Anti Virus applications or Anti Malware apps have you installed and subsequently removed?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

I've always had Trend-Micro products but recently my security suite reached EOL and they upgraded me to Titanium. I also removed Spybot S&D when I was working with 1972Vet when I first joined BC, but that was this year and the file dates back to may of last year. Everything else is as is from the build of this system. This is the first time I saw this file, as I was looking to dump some files off of my hard-drive. I opened Tune-up Utilities to see what unnecessary junk I could dump and that's when I saw this sandbox file. I'm thinking 2Gb's? that's a goner, but when I opened it and saw all of those KB articles in the file, I thought that I'd hold off until I could verify if they were vital or not. I did get rid of 16Gb's of unnecessary junk so it's not a big deal at this time, I appreciate you looking in on this and I will continue to do the same until I can get a definitive answer.

Respectfully Submitted,
STC1

#7 Sani-T-Capt1

Sani-T-Capt1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 559 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Hi Animal, take a look at this thread for me will you? There are numerous files that have this Sandbox feature on it but when I googled it I was taken to Sandbox/Safezone which is anAvast forum. I've never had any Avast products on any of my systems, so I'm still trying to ascertain where this program came from...The Plot Thickens :crazy: :crazy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users