Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsft Word

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ednoe

Ednoe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Can anyone help me with a annoying problem, each time I close ms word out I get the message "The file Normal already exist. Do you want to replace the existing file.", the only way I can close ms word out is save the file.
I have tried deleting the file with no success.
Please help this is driving me crazy!

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hey Ed :thumbsup:

I have read a few instances where Norton Anti virus has intercepted files to do a virus check and has not surrendered the document to Word. Do you have norton installed?

Also, i have a few normal.dot's on my computer - are you trying to delete the right one? The one you want to remove should be loacted in:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

You normally won't be able to see this folder, so you will have to show hidden file:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43032/how-to-show-hidden-files-in-xp/

Let me know if any of that works - i'm sure others will chip in with thier comments.

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 19 February 2006 - 11:16 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Normal.dot is the basic template for Word documents. Sometimes another document gets saved as the basic template. Delete "normal.dot," as D-Trojanator mentioned, and the correct one will be created automatically the next time Word is opened.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 February 2006 - 11:27 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users