Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting down wireless network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ozo Zmeli

Ozo Zmeli

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi I'm new here. So glad I found this place, its a treasure trove of information and there are lots of helpful people.

I would like to know how I can disable and reenable the wireless network from within Windows 7, without having to get up and hit the button on the modem. I tried going to network and sharing\network map and disabling there, but it had no effect on the wireless connections.

edit: also, I can't see the wireless connection at all in the network map. I can see my computer and my wifes, but not the kids xbox (which is whats using the wireless)

Yes, Im a big meanie, trying to restrict access to the xbox so the kid will go outside and get some fresh air occasionally. <_<

Edited by Ozo Zmeli, 10 March 2012 - 08:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

If you are attempting to disable wireless so others cannot use it -- you need to log into your router.

Open your webbrowser and go to your router/modem's IP address. (usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and login with the required credentials (admin username usually, and whatever password the manual states, unless you changed it.)

You can then urn your wireless off from within your router.

If you have issues with that, let me know what model of router you have (ex. Linksys WRT54G2) and I can give you some more detailed instructions.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#3 Ozo Zmeli

Ozo Zmeli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

I went to the d-link page but I have no idea what the password is. The manual slipped off the radar a long time ago. Do you know how I might change the password? I didn't see anything at the d-link login page.

#4 fetlock

fetlock

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello,

Have you ever changed your routers password? If not, take a look at this link to see if your router is listed: http://www.default-password.info/d-link/

Hope this helps...

Steve

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 May 2012 - 08:47 AM.
Removed unnecessary link. ~ OB

#5 Ozo Zmeli

Ozo Zmeli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, that helped, Im able to access the router settings now. No idea what to do in order to manually switch on and off the wireless. Theres a 'wireless connection wizard', is that where I need to go?

#6 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

What model of router do you have? If it's a dlink it's probably DIR-### (ex. DIR-520),

let me know and I will get back to you with instructions.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users