Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB PORT SECURITY

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SubzeroSniper

SubzeroSniper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hi all

I am now managing a group of computers that have some very crafty users.
I want to prevent them using their own personal USB flash drives in these computers, so i am, looking for a software application preferably FREEWARE that would ask the user to give a password before the computer will allow the USB port to work.

I know that i can disable the USB ports in device manger but the are USB's that i need to use daily so having to continually enable and disable as well as having to switch from Admin to user account every time i need to insert a USB drive would be very tasking.

Edited by SubzeroSniper, 10 March 2012 - 07:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hi

In Vista and Windows 7 you can set up a policy with a list of hardware ID's of approved devices. It will block anything not on the list for those users. That way any USB devices you regularly use work but if they plug something else in it does not.
Here's some more info ...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb530324.aspx

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users