Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good on-demand anti virus/malware scanner

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

I decided to get rid of real-time antivirus. And I'm now running my computer without any real-time anti-virus/anti-malware program installed. However, I'd like to know as to which are the good free on-demand anti-virus/anti-malware scanners available. I do not want to know about any real-time scanners, I want to know about on-demand scanners.

I already have a firewall and all I'm gonna need now is this - a good one. I hope you guys will help. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Ok, although they may miss some newer ones ,stopping them before they get on is the easyer way.

Look here at On line scanners

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

Most real-time AV programs allow you to disable real-time scanning. Is this an option for you?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

IMO, not having an anti-virus working in real-time in the background defeats much of its intended purpose...to protect a computer and prevent malware infection before it can damage your system. What is your objection to having real-time protection?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Ok, although they may miss some newer ones ,stopping them before they get on is the easyer way.

Look here at On line scanners
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366982.html

Thnx. But I would prefer apps which are based on my PC for scanning. :)

Most real-time AV programs allow you to disable real-time scanning. Is this an option for you?

Yeah, maybe that might work too. Hope you'll help. :)

IMO, not having an anti-virus working in real-time in the background defeats much of its intended purpose...to protect a computer and prevent malware infection before it can damage your system. What is your objection to having real-time protection?

They slow down my computer - now don't tell me they don't, every anti-virus software does, some to a great extent and some quite a bit. And I haven't got a single malware/virus infection in about more than the past 7-8 months. I don't feel the need. Besides, I have backups of every important thing on my computer. And I can afford to format my PC or take some efforts to clean my computer if it gets infected(which it doesn't usually). But I cannot, just cannot afford a slow PC. :wink:

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 15 March 2012 - 09:01 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

They slow down my computer - now don't tell me they don't, every anti-virus software does, some to a great extent and some quite a bit. And I haven't got a single malware/virus infection in about more than the past 7-8 months. I don't feel the need. Besides, I have backups of every important thing on my computer. And I can afford to format my PC or take some efforts to clean my computer if it gets infected(which it doesn't usually). But I cannot, just cannot afford a slow PC.

That's why my personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus as it leaves a small footprint, meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.

#7 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

They slow down my computer - now don't tell me they don't, every anti-virus software does, some to a great extent and some quite a bit. And I haven't got a single malware/virus infection in about more than the past 7-8 months. I don't feel the need. Besides, I have backups of every important thing on my computer. And I can afford to format my PC or take some efforts to clean my computer if it gets infected(which it doesn't usually). But I cannot, just cannot afford a slow PC.

That's why my personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus as it leaves a small footprint, meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.

I've tried that too. But that too does slow things a bit(A very tiny bit compared to others - I agree). I'd just prefer an on-demand antivirus/antimalware solution instead. Thanks a lot BTW. You guys around here are very helpful.
:)

And please do tell me about some good on-demand anti malware/virus scanners out there. Any help is always welcome. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Look, what Quietman is trying to tell you very diplomatically is don't work without a net. In the wild west of today's internet, it is very foolish to not have a real time AV. By the time you catch a virus from a bad ad at a legit website, it's too late for an on demand scanner. And the bottom line is that all real time AVs slow down computers. Get over it. So don't expect a response that will satisfy you. No one here is interested in throwing you to the wolves even if that's what you want. Foolishness is not encouraged. And ignoring sound advice from Quietman is very foolish.

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Look, what Quietman is trying to tell you very diplomatically is don't work without a net. In the wild west of today's internet, it is very foolish to not have a real time AV. By the time you catch a virus from a bad ad at a legit website, it's too late for an on demand scanner. And the bottom line is that all real time AVs slow down computers. Get over it. So don't expect a response that will satisfy you. No one here is interested in throwing you to the wolves even if that's what you want. Foolishness is not encouraged. And ignoring sound advice from Quietman is very foolish.

If I catch a virus, I don't mind taking efforts to clean up my PC - even if that means re-installing the OS. But I do mind a PC that is constantly slow. And I do not want a real time AV. What I asked for is an on-demand scanner - like, say Malwarebytes. It's been around 3 months since I've been without an AV. I scanned with Malwareybytes yesterday - no viruses detected. I know very clearly what I'm doing.

So.., if you can't help - say it. I'd happily look elsewhere. Thanks for yours and everyone else's advice BTW.
:whistle:

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 17 March 2012 - 06:34 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#10 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hi Alvas,

You have repeatedly made reference to your computer being slow when you've had an antivirus program installed. Just out of curiosity...how much RAM do you have on your machine, and what brand of CPU & CPU speed do you have?

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

The link to the list provided by boopme in Post #2 is comprehensive and includes two of the most effective tools (Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware) which can be used as stand-alone scanners.

Here is a list of other tools:

Free malware scanning/removal programs:

Other Free Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:

#12 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Alvas,

You have repeatedly made reference to your computer being slow when you've had an antivirus program installed. Just out of curiosity...how much RAM do you have on your machine, and what brand of CPU & CPU speed do you have?

Actually, by slow I did not mean 'slowed to a crawl'. I meant that it was slower. It doesn't get noticed on casual web browsing or PC use. But it does get noticed(and makes a significant difference) when playing resource-heavy games like GTA IV or Call of Duty - Black Ops, and at rare instances even when using Photoshop.

Here's a snapshot of my system specs - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LxlbJoOPWFSh0uB5FPGkHwJ

@quietman7 - Thanks a lot, friend. That really does help.

And thanks to everyone else too who has tried to help me, given me advice or even posted in this topic. Thanks a lot guys. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 17 March 2012 - 12:23 PM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#13 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thanks very much for posting back & the clarification of what you meant by running slow, Alvas!

It certainly appears you have more than enough RAM, a decent CPU, and good graphics card to accommodate everything. The reason I had asked was simply based on my own experience when I tried using a few different internet security suite programs and discovered they seriously slowed my computer down when doing just about anything. (I subsequently discovered they are well-known system resource hogs). For that reason, I switched to a free AV program rather than a security suite.

Once I also upgraded the RAM from the original 512 MB to 2 GB, the performance improved quite a lot. Quietman7 has provided a good list of applications. I hope you find the right program for your needs!

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 17 March 2012 - 01:17 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#14 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

But it does get noticed(and makes a significant difference) when playing resource-heavy games like GTA IV or Call of Duty - Black Ops, and at rare instances even when using Photoshop.

There are AV programs that allow you to specify programs and folders to be excluded from scanning.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#15 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

Thanks very much for posting back & the clarification of what you meant by running slow, Alvas!

It certainly appears you have more than enough RAM, a decent CPU, and good graphics card to accommodate everything. The reason I had asked was simply based on my own experience when I tried using a few different internet security suite programs and discovered they seriously slowed my computer down when doing just about anything. (I subsequently discovered they are well-known system resource hogs). For that reason, I switched to a free AV program rather than a security suite.

Once I also upgraded the RAM from the original 512 MB to 2 GB, the performance improved quite a lot. Quietman7 has provided a good list of applications. I hope you find the right program for your needs!

Regards,

I did. And thanks and welcome.

But it does get noticed(and makes a significant difference) when playing resource-heavy games like GTA IV or Call of Duty - Black Ops, and at rare instances even when using Photoshop.

There are AV programs that allow you to specify programs and folders to be excluded from scanning.

Still even after doing that, most keep scanning other files in the background continuously. It seemed best to get rid of it - and so I did.

Thanks again. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users