Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Sectors on Harddisk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dheervijay

dheervijay

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:18 AM

Hi,

I have hitachi 320 Gb Hardisk and it got bad sectors i tried windows chkdsk but its not worked so i am trying to do low level or zero level format .
So i have certain queries please help it to solve them
1.I laptop cd drive is not working so can i use it through usb & how.
2.Does it really solves my bad sectors problem..I have heard that if it stuck in between hadrdisk become useless is it right..???
3.Currently its showing 397 bad sectors on disk surface according to software Hard Disk Sentinel

Operating System Win 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:52 AM

Currently its showing 397 bad sectors on disk surface according to software Hard Disk Sentinel

Hi -
This program is not one that I am familiar with, but it sounds like many Registry Fixers that show 200 problems, and say" for $50 we can fix these" :mellow:

I would be very careful about believing all that this program is telling you about your system !!
The Hungarian or German company behind this program seems to offer very little support to their program, and also seem to want your money -

Run chkdsk /r first and see if the report is the same as this HDS program reports to you, as your inbuilt diagnostics are usually better than some 3rd party programs -
Method 1: Run As Administrator from shortcut
Use this method and type chkdsk /r at the command -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 10 March 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#3 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

HD sentinel is a simple SMART viewer. It will show you the health of your drive.

If you have that many bad sectors, you have problems with your hard drive. I would say replace it. Usually one or two bad sectors get flagged by chkdsk and pushed to the back of your disk so they cannot be used.

This however is a decent chunk of your disk, and if there are that many problems, there are bound to be more.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

I use the paid version Hard Disk Sentinel...what is reflected as the overall health of the drive?

FWIW: I currently have a working drive which, according to HDS is due to fail in two days, 300-plus bad/weak sectors noted.

Attached File  HD Screenshot.jpg   103.98KB   5 downloads

378 sectors are nothing on a hard drive, as you can see at http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c89ef141e7f43110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD .

The problem that I see with bad sectors...is that they can be an indication of a real problem...but (unlike most who know more than I) I don't think that I should replace a drive just because it has bad sectors noted, marked, and not used.

I have lots of hard drives and I have backups...so my approach doesn't place anything I want in any danger (should the drive fail). I continue to use it with no problems but don't suggest such for anyone with only 1 hard drive to depend upon...and who doesn't do routine backups.

Louis

#5 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

As with any power user, you are welcome to take the risks of a hard drive failing. I don't think my post should be discredited because of that, as it still does contain valid data for the regular user whom does not back up often.

I do suggest running a manufacturer diagnostic on the drive, though. You can pick up a USB DVD drive for about $60.

Edited by jtokarchuk, 10 March 2012 - 10:50 AM.

If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#6 dheervijay

dheervijay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

HI,

I have already purchased external dvd writer but it doesn't support boot don't know why i have toshiba A305-S6905 MODEL while it boots perfectly from my pendrive.
I also attaching the screenshot of HD senitel screen shotAttached File  hd.jpg   246.4KB   3 downloads

Secondly Does Zero Level Formatting solve the bad sector problem

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi

Yeah, it will mark the bad sectors that it has found so that they aren't used. However, bad sectors can often multiply (especially on newer drives) depending on their cause. If you want to continue to use this drive, you should write a bunch of data to it and run another test and see if the number of bad sectors is increasing. If they are, then it's a paperweight :) If they are not increasing that is certainly no guarantee that they won't soon. Probably when you need it most. I, personally only use drives with known bad sectors for testing and research.

James

EDIT: I just wanted to add that many programs like that misread S.M.A.R.T. data. Get a second opinion based on a real scan and not reading incorrect or improperly supported Offline_Uncorrectable data values.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 10 March 2012 - 05:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users