Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How does one lock down windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

I know a lot of options have to be checked and unchecked to make windows xp secure so I'm wondering if it's the same with 7.

It would be used only to game, surf, or maybe do some photoshop type stuff. I have no use for file sharing or anything like that.

Edited by printerandink, 09 March 2012 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

What do you mean "lock it down"? Exactly what is it that you are looking to accomplish?

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

I want to make it as secure as possible while still being able to use it for gaming, net browsing and photoshop type stuff. What settings are needed to make it so?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

An updated antivirus, Windows or 3rd party firewall and spywareblaster will be the most commonly used protection softwares. Add free Superantispyware and Malwarebytes for clearing tracking cookies and removing trojans, malware respectively. These free on-demand scanners can be updated weekly before making a quick or complete system scan. WOT is another popular addon http://www.mywot.com/en/download for safe browsing.

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I want to make it as secure as possible while still being able to use it for gaming, net browsing and photoshop type stuff. What settings are needed to make it so?

I'm still not sure what you're asking. Do you want to know how to keep it as safe as possible from malware or are you talking about preventing others from using it?

#6 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Well, both really. I just recall seeing a web page that said that I needed to tick a bunch of options off before xp would be totally secure and am wondering how to do the same in 7, if it's needed that is.

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Well, both really. I just recall seeing a web page that said that I needed to tick a bunch of options off before xp would be totally secure and am wondering how to do the same in 7, if it's needed that is.

Enable User Account Control on its highest setting: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/features/user-account-control
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users