Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Freezes on Startup (boot)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VaMaster54 - Mike

VaMaster54 - Mike

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

When i turn on the computer, DELL 4600 Inspiron) it boots and when the logo of Windows XP appears with the black background as usual and the progress bar scrolls,, well On that stage it stops completely so i cant even get into the welcome screen.
Also when i turn it off and on again i am asked this "we are sorry for inconvenicnce..... and gives my 5 options --- safe mode, safe mode networking, last good config, normal startup, and something else.

BACKGROUND...computer had not been used for almost 3 years...long story...my ignorance. Anyway while attacking a problem with my Vista thru this wonderful board, the issue of cleaning was brought up. while making the requisite mess i decided to clean the XP also.

Botted it....slow, took off AVG Free, and rebooted....and it is like a new machine. Armed with all my new found knowledge from my Vista bout, I set about adding Avast and Revo Installer. then i started removing all the unnecessary or unwanted programs. Anyway I removed a program and found out i wanted it back...it was not an essential program, something from Yahoo I think. I could not get it to reinstall for some reason so I was did a system restore to earlier that day.

After the system restore, the machine shut down. when rebooting the aforementioned occured. Tried rebooting in safemode and get a list of partitions...the last one being.....multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\ drivers\agp440.sys

I have no way to do any commands in safemode.

So just when i was falling in love all over again, she jilted me. Compared to Vista, XP is so much better in my opinion.

ALSO, I have no recovery disc (thanks Dell), but have all the other discs including the installation CD. There is basically nothing on the machine so I don't mind reinstalling (but it does not recognize any CD on bootup.

Sorry for such a long story, but too much info is better than too little...right :)

Anyway you guys like boopme and Gringo are fantastic.

If there is any hope, I know I will get it here. If not...oh well....this place is still fantastic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:56 AM

System Specs

Since it's a Dell, the first thing I would do would be to run Dell Diagnostics, before attempting any recovery/restore operation.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19326021/19672345.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/new-to-community/f/3511/t/19251573.aspx

Louis

I would also replace the CMOS battery as a basic procedure...on any system that has been sitting for 3 years or so. Minimal cost and effort.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81

Edited by hamluis, 10 March 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#3 VaMaster54 - Mike

VaMaster54 - Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thank you for the direction..I am in the process of doing a complete Diagnostic, which does take a while.

In the express test i got an IDE device failed...incompatible for testing. error was OFOO:133D

In the extended test under character attributes it presented me with a yes/no question and I had no way to communicate that answer.

In the customized test under confidence test CDR/DVD it stated "does not contain digital data" even though I had an installation disc in.

that is where I am at and will report rest of findings upon completion.

I have replaced the battery.

The 2nd and 3rd articles you gave me i have read and reread, they look kind of promising.

Thanks again.
Mike

Edited by VaMaster54 - Mike, 10 March 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#4 VaMaster54 - Mike

VaMaster54 - Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Well, the rest of the Diagnostic was fine....it seems the big thing is that error OFOO:133D

The ctrl/F11 did not work, nor did anything else.

I read extensively last nite and from what I can gather it must be a hard drive problem.

Your thoughts ??

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

That error seems to point to a problem with your optical drive.

You did follow the Dell instructions for running extensive tests on all hardware, correct?

Louis

#6 VaMaster54 - Mike

VaMaster54 - Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

2 things.....

1. when I did the extended test in the partitions section... there was a screen test with 4 different types of dispaly, regular, reverse, and 2 other... It asked if you could see them as they were supposed to be followed by a Y/N. I had no way to answer, mouse or keys would not work. the screen displays were correct. I will rerun again following this posting and see if I can skip that, but I do not think I can.

2. I just did the option for IDE Hard Drive Diagnotics for the first time.
the results primary and secondary sata -- no device
primary IDE -- PASSED
seconday IDE -- Diagnostics not supported

Just went back and tried the CDROM/DVD Test....it passed the device self test, but on the Read and Seek test it did not read the DVD that was in it....did not recognize there was one in it.

Other than that I did everything correctly.

One correction...my computer is Dell 4600C Dimension.

Edited by VaMaster54 - Mike, 11 March 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#7 VaMaster54 - Mike

VaMaster54 - Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

If it is the optical drive....

1. do I have to replace it ??? or

2. is there away to work around it....I really would never need to use it.

3 If I have to repalce it...what is a good, reputable online company to use to order it ??

Thank you.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

1. do I have to replace it ???

Not necessarily since your still troubleshooting the problem. Just remove the cable/power connection from the system and continue from there. Any other progress from removing the optical drive is a matter of hit or miss.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users