Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Users for Permissions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amoed77

Amoed77

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

So, i've searched and searched, and still can't get this right. My boss simply wants a Secured folder on a separate machine for back up purposes with only a few Users permitted. We only have about 12 users overall and 3 need permission. My issue is that I join the workgroup, I can see the Machine on the network, and the machine can see others on the Network. I've turned off simple file sharing on the machine and shared the folder i want to. But when i go to add users for the permissions, none of them show. Then i notice that the locations it's searching in when adding users is only the local machine. I try to change from local, but the only option is the local machine. Therefore, the only users i can add are the ones on the local machine. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

Create a group on both machines called officebkup and add those users to it.

#3 Amoed77

Amoed77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

thanks for the reply.

Where it says select users, it only allows me to add users from the local machine, not the rest of the network. I click on location, and it only shows the local machine.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

Each computer will have to have duplicate user names and passwords for this to work. Also this would be easier in a Domain Controlled envirnment.

#5 Amoed77

Amoed77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Gotcha, thanks again. You're right, domain controlled environment would work better, we just have to set it up. We have a server now running 2003 with a few unsecured shared folders. But im going to set up another server with active directory on it to start that from scratch. Im assuming that the clients will then just have to join the domain and I could assign permissions that way?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Yes you are correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users