Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin password no longer works?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

This may be due to a failing hard drive, but is there any way to fix this for now? I read that I need a password recovery disk, but I'm wondering how one gets such a disk.

Edited by printerandink, 09 March 2012 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If you think that the hard drive is failing, I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic to confirm/refute the possibility.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

It's already been confirmed. System is home built.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

If you know that the hard drive is failing...I guess I don't understand your post at all.

A failing hard drive is like a sinking ship...the only priority can be to move everything off the ship...before it descends beneath the waves.

If you know that you have a bad hard drive...I suggest you try to remove any valued data files...by attaching the drive to another system as a secondary drive...ASAP.

Louis

#5 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

That's what I need the admin account to work for. I can't get my mass effect files off it.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

You can if you attach the drive to another system as Louis suggested and access the files that way.
And I would do so immediately, while you still can.

How did you confirm the hard drive failure?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Seagate long test. And how does attaching it to another system allow me access to my admin account?

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

Copy & paste what you want off the drive, while you can!
If it failed SeaTools diags do so immediately!

I do it all the time.
Attach the drive to another system as a secondary drive and copy & paste the files that you want.

It depends on wheter the drive is IDE or SATA.
If it is IDE you might have to change a jumper setting.
If it is SATA you will not.

You might have to take ownership of the files that you want but that is also simple.

Edited by Eyesee, 10 March 2012 - 12:29 AM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Okay, but how do I access files in my admin account if my admin password no longer works?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:06 AM

Your admin account/profile...has no meaning at all...on a hard drive which is not being used to boot the system.

All data files on a drive that is attached to a different system...are just data files. They can be copied to another drive with no special access needed.

The only data files which might seem to be inaccessible are the files in Documents/Settings...but these are accessible by employing a procedure known as taking ownership.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Of course, you cannot copy programs to another system/drive and expect them to work. To function properly, programs will have to be reinstalled.

Louis

#11 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

I see. You're saying that I should log onto another system (after adding this drive to it) with an admin account and then access the files that way. I have no ability to do that. I'm not sure if they're that important to go through that trouble.

#12 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Even if you reset the password, there's no guarantee you would be able to access the data properly. If you do not have access to another machine, I would take it to a local technician to do a backup of your files, if they are important to you.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users