Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gateway nv52 keeps dying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whosurpopi

whosurpopi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

I have a 2 year old nv52 gateway that one day wouldnt come on even though i could here the slower fan running as well as the disk drive spinning at first. A computer repair place "fixed" the northbride, and it worked for a couple of weeks then when back to the same thing. He then replaced the processor, and I got another couple of weeks out of it before the same thing again. He replaced the processor AGAIN and again i only got about two weeks out of it. I do have a program that monitors the temps, and they were not crazy hot. Another thing, the computer would work forever if i never turned it off or closed the lid, but every time this happened, it was when I was trying to restart, or turn it back on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

get the computer repair shop to try a new power supply for a few days /weeks

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

I have another power supply because wife has the same computer. With a different power supply, should it come right on, or would I have to leave it plugged in for a long period of time because it doesnt work either when i try it right away.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I have another power supply because wife has the same computer. With a different power supply, should it come right on, or would I have to leave it plugged in for a long period of time because it doesn't work either when i try it right away.

no, it should turn on instantly .

if i never turned it off or closed the lid

just reread the first post ,didn't realize it was a laptop ,when i made my power supply suggestion .

when it stops working ,is it just that it stops turning on ,no boot what so ever correct

Edited by caperjac, 11 March 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#5 whosurpopi

whosurpopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

when i push the power button to start up, you hear the fan come on, and the disk drive check for disk, but nothing else happens. Every time he replaced the processor, the laptop would work for about a week, then one fatefull day, I would try to turn it on again, and it would not come on again.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

sounds like a serious hardware issue [video device likely ],not sure what to suggest ,but taking it back to computer repair would be one of my suggestions

Edited by caperjac, 12 March 2012 - 05:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users