Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RCZQD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 U2foreverU2

U2foreverU2

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

I just noticed a file on my local C drive.
It's called RCZQD without extension
size is 328 Kb
With search on Google I didn't find a match.
Can anyone tell me what this file can be. Am i infected with something ?
Any help is welcome .....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

It's impossible to say without examining the file. You can upload the file to Virus Total to have is subjected to multiple security scanners.

You can also upload it here and I can take a look at it.

Edited by Andrew, 09 March 2012 - 01:55 PM.

#3 U2foreverU2

U2foreverU2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thx for your quick reply. I have uploaded the file as you told.
Hope to hear fm you soon.

It's impossible to say without examining the file. You can upload the file to Virus Total to have is subjected to multiple security scanners.

You can also upload it here and I can take a look at it.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

The file appears to be the bootloader component of Grub4Dos, a tool for booting computers from a GRUB-style boot manager.

If the above sentence makes any sense to you then you will probably be able to remember doing something that caused the file to be placed there. If you don't, then we have a minor mystery.

Grub4DOS is most commonly used in BIOS flash utilities, special tools that update the low-level software which runs all your hardware. Grub4DOS is also used as a major component of Wubi, a tool which allows you to install Ubuntu Linux within Windows. However, neither of these possibilities account for the fact that the file's name appears to be completely random.

In any case, the file itself is harmless. It may be enlightening if you looked at the Creation Time attribute of the file, which might jog your memory by specifying the day and time the file was created.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users