Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to check first

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sag12

sag12

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:29 PM

If you had a laptop that all of a sudden had no monitor, what would you check first and how would to test to find out ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

if it turns on and stays on then I would try a external monitor first. Don't forget to plug it in and then turn on the laptop or use the FN key + (Whichever key toggles between internal and external display)

If no joy then I'd try removing one memory, if no luck then I'd swap them and try again.

If it doesn't turn on at all then I'd see if I knew anyone with the same model I try their power supply to see if Mine had gone bad.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thank you, we are going to try and see if the external will work. Isn't there some kind of devices that can be tested for that goes out on laptops that makes the monitor go out that can be replaced?

#4 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Also -- if an external monitor does work -- take a flashlight to the unworking laptop LCD.

If you can still see your desktop, then the backlight in the monitor went. If you can see nothing, then it's either your LCD or another part therein.

With sound enabled -- do you get to a windows desktop? Do you hear windows starting up? Or do light turn on and nothing happens.
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#5 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I hear nothing, the computer does not play it's start up song. And I do not see anything with the flash light trick. And by the way, thank you. That is a new one. Got to keep that one in the memory banks. You once again have been a BIG help "Bleeping Computer.com" I have to put you up there with one of if not best!

#6 sag12

sag12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

I also think that the MB or HD are gone, cause I do not hear anything when I turn on the laptop.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Does it at least turn on?
Did you try substituting memory?
Did you try substituting a different power supply?
Did you try removing the battery?
if still no joy, with the battery out and no power plugged in try turning it on.
Then Put the AC Adapter back and try again. I've seen it work.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

I hear nothing, the computer does not play it's start up song. And I do not see anything with the flash light trick. And by the way, thank you. That is a new one. Got to keep that one in the memory banks. You once again have been a BIG help "Bleeping Computer.com" I have to put you up there with one of if not best!

You are welcome. Try rotor's suggestions. If those don't work, you likely have a motherboard problem.
ALSO: try turning it on wit hthe HDD out, I've seen bad enough hard drive's stop a PC before the BIOS.

Edited by jtokarchuk, 13 March 2012 - 08:35 AM.

If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users