Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 1525 onboard NIC troubleshooting question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista basic with 2 gb ram. I newly formatted it due to various infections and also downloaded and installed all the necessary drivers from Dell. Device manager shows no problems, but does not show the onboard NIC adapter for ethernet connection. I plug in the ethernet cable and the status light comes on with 100mbps network but it does not connect or show up in control panel network connections. I can connect just fine wirelessly, but need the wired connection.
My question is how can I troubleshoot or fix this problem? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hello there.

Do you see it in device manager at all? Is it under network adapters?

If it does, I would consider reinstalling the driver.

If not, how old is the laptop?
If I have not responded to you within 24 hours, please PM me.

#3 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. As I stated above, it does not show up in device manager. As I stated above, I downloaded all the necessary drivers from Dell. I did that particular one 3 times. The laptop is about 4 years old.

#4 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

You had stated that device manager shows no problems, I had taken this to mean that it was in there.

1. Open a cmd window and enter the following two lines:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
devmgmt.msc

This should bring up a Device Manager window. Turn on the "show hidden devices" option in the View menu. If Windows has ever seen your NIC, it should now show up with an appropriate collection of this-doesn't-work emblems attached.

Let me know if there are any errors. If it doesn't show up there, you may wish to try a linux livecd to see if it works at all.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Thanks again for your help...I couldn't open device mgr within cmd, so I just opened it in c/panel...I hope that will give same results

Edited by geno368, 10 March 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#6 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I show the bluetooth devices (2) and the Dell wireless adapter and several win miniport devices, but no 10/100 ethernet adapters. Dell only shows a Marvell 88E80xx 10/100 Ethernet controller, but it is not listed. I am wondering if that is the NIC driver. I did download and install that one but it didn't help. BTW, it doesn't list anything not connected.

#7 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

Please explain the linux live cd

#8 jtokarchuk

jtokarchuk

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

If you are not familiar with linux, I suggest not giving it a try.

You would have to download ubuntu or something like it -- and see if you can get internet booted to that environment via wired.

My suspicion is that your wired card is damaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users